Electric Field in a Wire (Concepts)

In summary, the electric field inside a wire is inversely proportional to the resistivity of the material it is made of and directly proportional to the current passing through the wire. These relationships can be expressed using Ohm's Law and the equation for current density.
Staple Gun

Homework Statement

A) [Directly proportional/Inversely proportional] The electric field inside the wire is ... to resistivity of the material the wire made of.

B) [Directly proportional/Inversely proportional] The electric field inside the wire is ... to the current passing through the wire.

Homework Equations

This is my problem, I can't seem to find any equations that relate electric field to the resistivity or current in the wire.

The Attempt at a Solution

My guess is that A is inversely proportional, and B is directly proportional but its just a guess.

Physics news on Phys.org
Ohm's Law comes in two forms. The form more common to intro physics is:

[tex]V=IR[/tex]

The other form is the following:

[tex]J=\sigma E[/tex] where J is the current density and sigma is the conductivity (inverse of resistivity).

Can you use these equations to answer the questions?

Thanks GO1! Thats exactly what i was looking for. I've got the answers now :)

1. What is an electric field in a wire?

An electric field in a wire refers to the force that acts on a charged particle when it is placed in the vicinity of a wire carrying current. The electric field is created by the movement of charged particles within the wire, and it exerts a force on other charged particles that interact with it.

2. How is the electric field in a wire calculated?

The electric field in a wire is calculated using the formula E = I/2πr, where E is the electric field, I is the current flowing through the wire, and r is the distance from the wire. This formula is based on the principle of Coulomb's law, which states that the force between two charged particles is inversely proportional to the distance between them.

3. What factors affect the strength of the electric field in a wire?

The strength of the electric field in a wire is affected by several factors, including the current flowing through the wire, the distance from the wire, and the material of the wire. Additionally, the shape and orientation of the wire can also impact the strength of the electric field.

4. What is the direction of the electric field in a wire?

The direction of the electric field in a wire is always perpendicular to the direction of the current flow. This means that if the current is flowing in a straight line, the electric field will be in a circular pattern around the wire. The direction of the electric field can also be determined using the right-hand rule.

5. How is the electric field in a wire used in practical applications?

The electric field in a wire has many practical applications, including in electrical circuits, telecommunications, and power generation. It is also used in technologies such as electromagnets, motors, and generators. Additionally, the electric field in a wire is essential in the study of electricity and magnetism and is essential for understanding the behavior of charged particles in various situations.