Electric field in water, using voltage, without electrolysis

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating an electric field in water using electrodes without causing electrolysis or an arc in the water. It is mentioned that insulated electrodes can be used and that a shallow tray of water with various shaped electrodes was used in an introductory laboratory course. Some small bubbles formed at the electrodes, but did not cause any problems. The conversation also mentions the importance of having a low voltage in salty water to avoid electrolysis.
sina_mech
Hi!

Can we create electric field in water, using electrodes (say 10-15V of voltage difference), without having electrolysis or arc in water? (the water can be salty). I just read that insulated electrodes can be used. but I'm not sure.

PS: Sorry if the question sounds silly. My field of study is so far from these topics :)

Thank you :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes. In an introductory laboratory course, many years ago, I used an electric field mapping apparatus which consisted of a shallow tray of water with electrodes of various shapes. I don't remember what the voltage was. As I recall, we did have some small bubbles forming at the electrodes, but they didn't cause any problems.

@jtbell Thank you for your reply. Actually those small bubbles matter. I'd like to know if there is a way to have the field without having the bubbles (which are the result of electrolysis).

Any suggestion? :)

sina_mech said:
Can we create electric field in water, using electrodes (say 10-15V of voltage difference), without having electrolysis or arc in water?
Some colleagues of mine did extensive measurements on oil pipes under water, and they concluded that the voltage had to be very low. I think it was on the order of 0.2V.

Of course, this was in the North Sea. Very salty water.

Likes sina_mech
Electrolysis does not occur if the voltage is less than 1.7 V.. Above that as long as there is some current flowing you will get electrolysis.

Likes sina_mech

What is an electric field in water?

An electric field in water is a region where electrically charged particles experience a force due to the presence of an applied electric potential. In other words, it is a force field that exists in water due to the presence of an electric charge.

How is voltage used to create an electric field in water?

Voltage is used to create an electric field in water by applying a potential difference between two points in the water. This potential difference causes the charged particles in the water to move and create an electric field.

Can an electric field in water be created without electrolysis?

Yes, an electric field in water can be created without electrolysis. Electrolysis is a process that involves the decomposition of a substance using an electric current, but an electric field can be created in water simply by applying a potential difference without any chemical reactions taking place.

What factors affect the strength of an electric field in water?

The strength of an electric field in water is affected by the distance between the charged particles, the magnitude of the charges, and the dielectric constant of water. Other factors such as temperature and impurities in the water can also have an impact.

How is the strength of an electric field in water measured?

The strength of an electric field in water is measured in units of volts per meter (V/m). This is a measure of the electric field's intensity or the amount of force exerted on a charged particle per unit of distance.