Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B How to conduct electricity through water without electrodes?

1. Mar 17, 2016 #1
    More specifically, how to conduct electricity through water without submerging electrodes into water? I can't think of other way except using high voltage to arc across air into water, but this method only work for high voltage. Any ideas? Thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 17, 2016 #2
    Other than any form of contact with the water I think that a high voltage arc would be the only other option.

4. Mar 17, 2016 #3

Merlin3189

Gold Member

I've never tried it (yet!), but if you had a loop of water magnetically linked to a coil, presumably a current could be induced, just as with any other conductor.

5. Mar 17, 2016 #4
    Hmmm... Interesting, I though electricity can only be induce if the material have a magnetic property.

6. Mar 17, 2016 #5

Merlin3189

Gold Member

Copper is not ferromagnetic, but works well in transformers.

7. Mar 17, 2016 #6
    But the core of the transformer is ferromagnetic. Copper is just to create magnetic field. But I think copper will also work. Aren't there research on this?

8. Mar 17, 2016 #7

Merlin3189

Gold Member

I don't know about research on the magnetic properties of copper.
    What I am suggesting is a transformer with normal primary coil (copper), normal core (iron) and a secondary coil of a loop tube of water.

9. Mar 17, 2016 #8

davenn

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

no,
    Transformers will still work without an iron core, the just don't work as well at lower frequencies

Many dual coil inductors in RF circuits have no ferrite material in them

go do some reading on electromagnetic induction :)

Dave

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted