1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric field inside conductor

1. Nov 28, 2014 #1
    The common explanation for the electric field inside a conductor being zero goes something like this:

Suppose a perfect conductor is placed in an electric field, the external field causes the free charges to redistribute in such a way, that the resulting internal field exactly cancels off the external field, inside the body of the conductor.

I understand that a perfect conductor has unlimited supply of free electrons. But, my question is, how do i prove that there always exists a distribution of charges inside a conductor, which produces the internal electric field required to cancel off ANY external electric field. In other words, is it always possible to find such a distribution, for ANY external field, for ANY perfect conductor? How do i prove that?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 29, 2014 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

While this is possible (it is a special boundary value problem to find a charge distribution that leads to the correct electric potential), you can go the opposite way: Any field inside a conductor would lead to a current flow. There cannot be a current flow in equilibrium, and a conductor with a finite electric resistance will reach equilibrium.

4. Nov 29, 2014 #3
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gauss's_law

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook