Electric field intensity on thin electric sheets

In summary, The conversation is about using equations to solve a problem involving three sheets of charge and finding the electric field at a given point. The responder suggests using the equation for the electric field from a sheet of charge and adding up the contributions from each sheet to find the total electric field. They also provide a resource for understanding the concept of the electric field from a sheet of charge.
Cocoleia

Homework Statement

upload_2017-2-26_19-28-20.png

Homework Equations

The only equations I can think to use would be:
upload_2017-2-26_19-29-41.png

upload_2017-2-26_19-30-4.png

upload_2017-2-26_19-30-31.png

But I'm not sure if they are useful or how they will help.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have the solution, it just isn't detailed...
upload_2017-2-26_19-26-45.png

I don't understand where they get E=1/2ε. Should I be considering these as parallel plate capacitors?

Physics news on Phys.org
Cocoleia said:
I don't understand where they get E=1/2ε. Should I be considering these as parallel plate capacitors?
There are three sheets of charge. Each produces a field. To find the field at any point, add up the contributions from each sheet.

What's the field from a sheet of charge? See this: Electric Field: Sheet of Charge

1. What is electric field intensity on thin electric sheets?

Electric field intensity on thin electric sheets refers to the strength of the electric field at any point on or near a thin sheet of electrically charged material. It is a measure of the force that an electric field exerts on a unit charge at that point.

2. How is electric field intensity on thin electric sheets calculated?

Electric field intensity on thin electric sheets can be calculated using the equation E = σ/ε, where E is the electric field intensity, σ is the surface charge density of the sheet, and ε is the permittivity of the surrounding medium.

3. What are some common applications of electric field intensity on thin electric sheets?

Electric field intensity on thin electric sheets is used in various applications such as capacitors, printed circuit boards, and sensors. It is also important in understanding the behavior of electromagnetic waves in materials.

4. How does the thickness of the electric sheet affect the electric field intensity?

The electric field intensity on a thin electric sheet is inversely proportional to the thickness of the sheet. This means that a thinner sheet will have a higher electric field intensity compared to a thicker sheet with the same surface charge density.

5. Can the electric field intensity on thin electric sheets be negative?

Yes, the electric field intensity on thin electric sheets can be negative. This can occur when the surface charge density is negative and the surrounding medium has a higher permittivity, resulting in an electric field in the opposite direction of the surface charge.