Electric Field & it's components

In summary, two point charges, Q1 = -4.0 μC and Q2 = +3.0 μC, create an electric field at the origin O. The x-component of the electric field at the origin is closest to 3800 N/C. The calculation involved using the formula kq/r^2 and the inverse tangent to find the direction vector for Q2. The final answer was found by adding the magnitudes of the two electric fields, taking into account their directions.
victorializ

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2014-06-06 at 4.27.50 PM.png

Two point charges, Q1 = -4.0 μC and Q2 = +3.0 μC, are placed as shown. In Figure 17.14b, the x-component of the electric field, at the origin O, is closest to:
A) -3000 N/C
B) 3800 N/C
C) 9800 N/C
D) -3800 N/C
E) -9800 N/C

Homework Equations

kq/r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

i understand how to get the magnitude of both forces of Q1 and Q2 by using kq/r^2
i found the hypotenuse to use as the length which is 2.57m .
what I'm lost on is the direction vectors that i need multiply the forces by.

in relation to Q2 i have found the inverse tangent and the angle comes out to be about 33. but when i multiply it by the force i get and get the difference with the force of Q1 it's not right.

any help is much appreciated, this one problem has been giving me trouble for quite some time!

Physics news on Phys.org
Don't describe your calculation. Show it. If you don't show us your calculation how do expect us to find what's wrong with it?

sorry here it is.
kq/r^2

Q1:
(9 x 10^9) x (-4 x 10^-6) / (2.3^2) = -6810 N/C

Q2:
(9 x 10^9) x (3 x 10^-6) / (2.75^2) = 3570.3 N/C
[the 2.75 distance I'm using is found - hypotenuse]

i'm unsure about the direction vector for Q1 since it is just on the x-axis ?
direction of vector for Q2:
atan(1.5/2/3) = 33.11 degrees
so 3570cos(33.11) = 2990 N/C

-6810 - 2990= -9800 N/C

the right answer is 3800 but I'm not sure why?

dauto said:
Don't describe your calculation. Show it. If you don't show us your calculation how do expect us to find what's wrong with it?

sorry! I'm new to this!

victorializ said:
sorry here it is.
kq/r^2

Q1:
(9 x 10^9) x (-4 x 10^-6) / (2.3^2) = -6810 N/C

Q2:
(9 x 10^9) x (3 x 10^-6) / (2.75^2) = 3570.3 N/C
[the 2.75 distance I'm using is found - hypotenuse]

i'm unsure about the direction vector for Q1 since it is just on the x-axis ?
direction of vector for Q2:
atan(1.5/2/3) = 33.11 degrees
so 3570cos(33.11) = 2990 N/C

-6810 - 2990= -9800 N/C

the right answer is 3800 but I'm not sure why?

why -6810 in the last line? why not + 6810? After all Q1 is negative isn't it?

dauto said:
why -6810 in the last line? why not + 6810? After all Q1 is negative isn't it?

well with the calculations you get the -6810 . why would you change it; Q1 is to the right of the origin so wouldn't it just stay the same?

Last edited:
victorializ said:
but isn't Q1 positive since its to the right of the origin?
Q1 is negative, as given. The x displacement of the origin from Q1 is negative. The sign of the field comes from the product of the two, so is positive.
Just think about which way a positive test charge at the origin would be affected by Q1. It would be attracted to the right, yes?

haruspex said:
Q1 is negative, as given. The x displacement of the origin from Q1 is negative. The sign of the field comes from the product of the two, so is positive.
Just think about which way a positive test charge at the origin would be affected by Q1. It would be attracted to the right, yes?

oh yeah that makes much more sense, thank you!

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a force field that surrounds electrically charged particles, such as electrons or protons. It describes the force that a charged particle would experience if placed in that particular area.

2. How is an electric field created?

An electric field is created by a charged particle, such as an electron or proton. When a charged particle is placed in a certain area, it creates a force field around itself that can interact with other charged particles.

3. What are the components of an electric field?

The two components of an electric field are the electric force and the direction of the field. The electric force is the strength of the field, while the direction of the field is the direction in which a positively charged particle would move if placed in the field.

4. How is the strength of an electric field measured?

The strength of an electric field is measured in units of Newtons per Coulomb (N/C). This unit represents the force that one Coulomb of charge would experience when placed in the field.

5. What is the difference between an electric field and an electric potential?

An electric field and electric potential are related, but they represent different concepts. An electric field describes the force that a charged particle would experience, while an electric potential describes the potential energy that a charged particle has due to its position in the field.