Electric field of a dipole antenna

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
Maike
Messages
12
Reaction score
0
Hello,

Is it possible to derive the electric field of a dipole antenna mathematically?
Does it look like a pure dipole far away?
I am experimenting with these things and they are a bit mysterious to me.

Thanks for your answers!
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I assume you mean electromagnetic field, since "far away" means you are looking at radiation? The answer is yes, more or less. Antennas can be surprisingly complex to compute due to interactions between the drive, the currents/voltages induced in the conductors, and the reaction that the resulting fields produce back onto those currents/voltages. As a result, both analytic and numerical calculations are often iterative. The method of moments is one that is very widely used. You can also a perform multipole expansion. A half-wave dipole turns out to be mostly dipolar, with a small quadrupolar component (I forget how big--just a few percent, I think), and fairly negligible higher-order contributions.