Electric Field of a finite line of charge

In summary, the conversation is about a question on an exam asking for the calculation of the electric field at a point P to the right of a finite line of charge. The initial thought was that the electric field would be 0, but this was not one of the available answers. The only given equation was for a perpendicular bisector, which cannot be applied in this case. The solution may involve dividing the line of charge into small elements and calculating the electric field at point P due to each element.
johnnyies

Homework Statement

I just took an exam and one of the questions gave us a finite line of charge and asked us to calculate the E-field at a point at a point P to the right of the line of charge.

here is a poor sketch

[+][+][+][+][+][+][+][+][+][+][+][+]---------------------------------- .P
(thin line of charge)

now my initial thought would be that E at point P = 0, since if we drew the field lines they would point radially outward and perpendicular to the line of charge. However, 0 was not any of the available answers.

The only equation given to us was the one for a point that is in the perpendicular bisector of the line of charge, which cannot apply in this case. How would we go about solving this?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You wrote,

"now my initial thought would be that E at point P = 0, since if we drew the field lines they would point radially outward and perpendicular to the line of charge. However, 0 was not any of the available."

I think that is true only for an infinite line of charge. I think you could divide the line of charge into small elements and add the electric field at point P due to all the elements of charge?

1. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a physical quantity that represents the force exerted on a charged object by other charged objects in its vicinity. It is a vector field, meaning that it has both magnitude and direction.

2. What is a finite line of charge?

A finite line of charge is a hypothetical object that has a finite length and carries a certain amount of charge uniformly distributed along its length. It is often represented as a straight line with arrows pointing in the direction of the electric field.

3. How is the electric field of a finite line of charge calculated?

The electric field of a finite line of charge can be calculated using the Coulomb's law, which states that the electric field at a point in space is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charge and inversely proportional to the distance from the point to the charge.

4. What is the direction of the electric field of a finite line of charge?

The direction of the electric field of a finite line of charge is perpendicular to the line and points away from the line for positive charges, and towards the line for negative charges.

5. What are some real-world applications of the electric field of a finite line of charge?

The concept of the electric field of a finite line of charge is used in various fields, such as electronics, electrical engineering, and physics. Some practical applications include the design of capacitors, electric motors, and power transmission lines.