Electric field of charged infinite line and plane

In summary, the conversation discusses the difference between the electric field of an infinite line of charge and an infinite plane of charge. The electric field of the line is inversely proportional to the distance, while the field of the plane is constant. The reason for this lies in the 3-dimensional nature of our world.
Angelos
Hi...

I have hopefuly simple question, which however drives me crazy...
I know how to mathematically derive that infinite line of charge has its electric field inversly proportional to the distance from it and also I know how to derive that infinite plane of charge has its electric field constant. Nevertheless I don't see why is this. Why the E-field of infinite line changes, but one of infinite plane does not? I mean I don't see the physical reason for it.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited:

I can understand your confusion about the electric field of a charged infinite line and plane. Let me explain the physical reason behind these mathematical derivations.

First, let's consider the electric field of an infinite line of charge. This line of charge has an infinite length, which means that it has an infinite number of charges. When we calculate the electric field at a point near the line, we are essentially summing up the contributions of all these infinite number of charges. As we move away from the line, the distance between the point and the charges increases, and thus the electric field decreases inversely proportional to the distance. This is because the electric field follows the inverse square law, which states that the strength of the electric field is inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the charge.

On the other hand, an infinite plane of charge has an infinite surface area, but not an infinite number of charges. The electric field at a point near the plane is determined by the charges present on that particular area of the plane. Unlike the infinite line, the distance between the point and the charges remains the same, regardless of the distance from the plane. This is why the electric field of an infinite plane remains constant, as the number of charges contributing to the field does not change with distance.

In conclusion, the physical reason behind the different behavior of electric fields for an infinite line and plane is due to the infinite length and surface area, respectively, of these charged objects. I hope this helps to clarify your confusion. Keep questioning and exploring, that's what drives scientific progress!

FAQ: Electric field of charged infinite line and plane

1. What is the electric field of a charged infinite line?

The electric field of a charged infinite line is a vector field that describes the strength and direction of the electric force at any point in space surrounding the line. It is given by the equation E = λ/2πε_0r, where λ is the line charge density, ε_0 is the permittivity of free space, and r is the distance from the line.

2. How does the electric field of a charged infinite line vary with distance?

The electric field of a charged infinite line follows an inverse relationship with distance, meaning that as the distance from the line increases, the electric field strength decreases. This is because the electric field is spread out over a larger area as the distance increases, leading to a weaker field.

3. What is the direction of the electric field of a charged infinite line?

The direction of the electric field of a charged infinite line is radial, meaning it points away from the line in all directions. This can be visualized as a series of concentric circles surrounding the line, with the field lines pointing outward.

4. What is the electric field of a charged infinite plane?

The electric field of a charged infinite plane is a vector field that describes the strength and direction of the electric force at any point in space surrounding the plane. It is given by the equation E = σ/2ε_0, where σ is the surface charge density and ε_0 is the permittivity of free space.

5. How does the electric field of a charged infinite plane differ from that of a charged infinite line?

The electric field of a charged infinite plane is constant at all points in space, whereas the electric field of a charged infinite line varies with distance. Additionally, the direction of the electric field of a charged infinite plane is perpendicular to the surface of the plane, whereas the direction of the electric field of a charged infinite line is radial. Lastly, the equation for the electric field of a charged infinite plane does not include a distance term, unlike the equation for a charged infinite line.

Back