Electric field strength of wire problem

In summary, the electric field strength 10 cm from a very long charged wire is approximately 1 x 10^3 N/C, calculated using the formula for an infinite line of charge. This is different from the formula used for point charges.
jwoo
The electric field strength 5 cm from a very long charged wire is 2000N/C . What is the field strength 10 cm from wire.
A)1x10^-4 N/C
B)1x10^3 N/C
C)9.9x10^7 N/C
D) None of these

I have
E=kq/r^2 and infinite line charge E=(2k[tex]\lambda[/tex])/R

2000 * .05 m^2 /K =q
q=5.56 E-8
k5.56E-8/.^21 m = 500 N/C so my answer would be D

But its wrong so where am I off? Thanks for the help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The field from a line charge and the field from a point charge have completely different forms. Don't mix them. Why don't you solve for lambda instead of q?

You have an infinite line of charge, so use that formula. The formula you are using is for point charges, not lines of charge.

(Edit: Dick beat me to it.:smile:)

okay so
E = k2lambda/r
(2000*.05)/2k =5.56x10^-9 = lambda
plug this in
5.56x10^-9 * k * 2 / .1 = E = 9.8x10^4 still not any of the answers

Put units on numbers, ok? I get 999.41 V/m. The difference between that and one of your numbers is pure round off. BTW, you didn't even have to solve for lambda. You are trying to compare 2*k*lambda/(0.05m)=2000 V/m with 2*k*lambda/(0.1m). Everything else is the same, but the denominator doubled. What's the exact answer?

Oh okay I see it. sorry I converted everything to meters. So then my answer would be the same as yours 999.99 which would be 1 x 10^3 . Thank you guys so much. I was having trouble with this because the logic just didnt make any sense. I gather I could've conceptually answered the problem but I wanted to know the math behind it. Thanks again.

1. What is electric field strength?

Electric field strength is a measure of the intensity of an electric field at a specific point. It is defined as the force per unit charge that a test charge would experience if placed at that point.

2. How is electric field strength related to wire problems?

In wire problems, the electric field strength refers to the strength of the electric field produced by a charged wire. This electric field can affect the motion of other charges in the vicinity of the wire.

3. What factors affect the electric field strength of a wire?

The electric field strength of a wire is affected by the magnitude of the charge on the wire, the distance from the wire, and the type of material the wire is made of.

4. How is the electric field strength of a wire calculated?

The electric field strength of a wire can be calculated using Coulomb's Law, which states that the electric field strength is directly proportional to the magnitude of the charge on the wire and inversely proportional to the square of the distance from the wire.

5. Can the electric field strength of a wire be negative?

Yes, the electric field strength of a wire can be negative if the wire has a negative charge. This means that the direction of the electric field is towards the wire, rather than away from it.