1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric fields, particles and deflection

1. Jul 25, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Explain the circumstances that enable a particle to move un-deflected with uniform motion through an electric field if it is given an initial velocity perpendicular to the electric field. Assume the electric field is the only field present.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    If the electric field was extremely weak and the particle had an extremely low charge.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 25, 2015 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Can you think of a property that the particle might have (or not have) that would allow it to move undeflected (even in a strong electric field)?

[EDIT: I think you're pretty close when you said "the particle had an extremely low charge". Why not go all the way? :woot:]

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
  4. Jul 25, 2015 #3
    I dont know how I missed that THANKS!!!! it should be neutral right?

5. Jul 25, 2015 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that would be one reason the particle doesn't deflect.

Now, the original statement of the problem asks for "circumstances". But I can't think of anything else. (I don't think mental telepathy telekinesis would be an acceptable answer.)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 25, 2015
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted