Electric Potential and Capacitance

In summary, adding charge to a conductor can increase the potential difference between the two plates of a capacitor.
psmurty2000
I know that Electrostatic Potential at a point due to a point charge is defined as the amount of work done in bringing a unit positive charge to that point (working against the electric force)

But, I am unable to reconcile this definition with the phrases like "Potential of a conductor"

More specifically, I read that "The potential of a conductor increases as we deposit more charges on it"

First of all, what is meant by potential of a conductor? Potential due to what?

Secondly, why should the potential increase linearly with the charge?

If someone could answer, I would appreciate it
Thankyou
P.S.Murty

Physics news on Phys.org
psmurty2000 said:
I know that Electrostatic Potential at a point due to a point charge is defined as the amount of work done in bringing a unit positive charge to that point (working against the electric force)

But, I am unable to reconcile this definition with the phrases like "Potential of a conductor"

More specifically, I read that "The potential of a conductor increases as we deposit more charges on it"

First of all, what is meant by potential of a conductor? Potential due to what?

Secondly, why should the potential increase linearly with the charge?

If someone could answer, I would appreciate it
Thankyou
P.S.Murty

What you described earlier is not the electrostatic potential, but rather the electronstatic potential energy. That's why you can equate it to work done. This has units of energy.

The electrostatic potential has units of "volts" or equivalent. This also has a dimension of energy/unit charge. However, because "potential" and "potential energy" are really measured either as a CHANGE or with respect to a reference value, one can sometime use the term "potential difference".

Now I'm saying that because you included a "capacitance" in the title even though you said nothing about a capacitor in your post. So I will assume that what you mean by adding charge to a conductor means you add charge to one plate of a capacitor. What this can do is to increase the potential difference between the two sides of a capacitor. The "V" or potential difference in volts is now different. Or you can say the amount of work done per unit charge in moving a charge from one plate to the other is equivalent to V. You can also say the amount of work done in moving a charge q from one plate to the other is qV, etc... etc.

You may also want to read this thread:

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=117946

Zz.

The potential of a conductor refers to the electrostatic potential energy per unit charge at a particular point on the surface of the conductor. It is a measure of the energy required to bring a unit positive charge from infinity to that point on the conductor's surface. This potential is due to the presence of electric charges on the conductor, and it is influenced by the distribution of these charges.

When we deposit more charges on a conductor, the distribution of charges on the conductor's surface changes, and this affects the electric potential. According to the definition of electric potential, the more charges there are on the conductor, the more work is required to bring a unit positive charge to a particular point on the surface. This results in an increase in the potential of the conductor.

The potential of a conductor does not necessarily increase linearly with the charge. It depends on the distribution of charges on the conductor's surface. If the charges are evenly distributed, the potential will increase linearly with the charge. However, if the charges are unevenly distributed, the potential may not increase linearly. This is because the potential is influenced by the distance between charges and their arrangement on the conductor's surface.

I hope this helps to clarify the concept of potential of a conductor and its relationship with the charges on the surface. It is important to note that the concept of potential is a fundamental aspect of electrostatics and is crucial in understanding the behavior of conductors and other electrical systems.

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is the amount of electric potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field. It is measured in volts (V) and represents the work required to move a unit of positive charge from one point to another in the electric field.

2. How is electric potential different from electric potential energy?

Electric potential energy is a measure of the potential energy stored in a system of charges, while electric potential is the potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field. In other words, electric potential energy is a measure of the total energy in a system, while electric potential is a measure of the energy per unit charge at a specific point.

3. What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential difference?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a specific point, while electric potential difference is the difference in electric potential between two points in an electric field. Electric potential difference is also known as voltage and is measured in volts (V).

4. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store electric charge. It is defined as the ratio of the electric charge stored on a conductor to the corresponding electric potential difference between the conductors. It is measured in farads (F) and is influenced by the geometry and material of the system.

5. How does capacitance affect the behavior of a circuit?

Capacitance affects the behavior of a circuit by storing and releasing electric charge, which can influence the flow of current and the potential difference in the circuit. Capacitors are often used in circuits to regulate and filter electric signals, as well as to store energy for later use.