1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electric Potential Difference homework

1. Apr 11, 2006 #1
    Point A is at a potential of +220 V, and point B is at a potential of -120 V. An alpha-particle is a helium nucleus that contains two protons and two neutrons; the neutrons are electrically neutral. An alpha-particle starts from rest at A and accelerates toward B. When the alpha-particle arrives at B, what kinetic energy (in electron volts) does it have? Plz help. thanks.

Here are my thoughts so far..... i know the mass of the alpha particle is 4 amu. The charge of the alpha particle is 2e. 6.25*10^18=1e so the charge of the alpha particle is 3.2*10^-19 C. I think i should use the following equation to solve this problem: KE=q(VA-VB). this will give me the answer in volts, however i need eV so 1V=1eV/(1.6*10^-19 C) When i plug in these numbers i am not getting the right answer. please let me know what i am doing wrong. thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2006 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Since you want the answer in eV, no point in converting charge to Coulombs (and back). Your equation is correct: KE=q(VA-VB). What's q? What's Va-Vb?

4. Apr 11, 2006 #3
    would q be equal to 2 since their are 2 e's in an alpha particle? And VA=220 and VB=-120 so KE=2(220-120)????? thanks.

5. Apr 11, 2006 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Almost.

q = 2e. Va = 220V; Vb = -120V; so, Va-Vb = (220V) - (-120V).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?