Electrical and Biomedical Engineer

In summary, an Electrical Engineer can work as a Biomedical Engineer if they have a BS in Electrical Engineering and a strong understanding of signal processing. Specific courses that an Electrical Engineer should take to be able to work as a Biomedical Engineer include biomedical engineering-related courses in engineering physics and electrical engineering, as well as courses in biomedical instrumentation and biomedical device fabrication.
evra
I want to know if someone with a BSc in Electrical Engineering can work as a Biomedical Engineer? If yes, how possible? Can you give me the work outline of a Biomedical Engineer please and what particular things should an Electrical Engineer study to be able to work as a Biomedical Engineer?

Thank you in advance. Your inputs will be more than helpful!

Physics news on Phys.org
PF'ers won't you reply to this one..? desperately looking forward to seeing your inputs.

thanks

Biomedical engineering is a fairly broad field. The BMEs that I know personally specialize in MRI, but this is by no means the extent of biomedical engineering. They got their bachelor's degrees in electrical engineering and then moved into BME for graduate work.

I'm sure there are many people who work in BME who came from an electrical background. If you are going through for electrical engineering, make sure that you have a good handle on sigal processing if you're interested in medical imaging.

Thank you very much..But what is the actual job of a Biomedical Engineer?

from what I read on wikipedia (not an expert by any means don't take my word for it) the electronics part of BME is designing, maintaining, and calibrating biomedical instruments, including medical NMR, X-ray tomography, gamma knife, laser surgery, ultrasound and various optical analytical schemes.

there's also a more "biochemistry and materials science" part of BME that's based on tissue engineering, prosthetics, drug delivery, stuff like that.

chill_factor said:
there's also a more "biochemistry and materials science" part of BME that's based on tissue engineering, prosthetics, drug delivery, stuff like that.
An Electrical Engineer might not know what Biochemistry is about, so how can he be a Biomedical Engineer??

evra said:
Thank you very much..But what is the actual job of a Biomedical Engineer?

Like I said it's a broad field, so there is a lot of variation between positions. The BMEs I know have become medical physicists specializing in MRI. So they work on projects like MR spectroscopy (determining the relative concentrations of various molecules within patients, experimental animals, or samples), designing pulse sequences that give different information about the objects being scanned, or generally improving the quality of the images that are produced. There is also a safety component to their position as well that involves limiting risks to patients from RF heating or to staff from working around strong magnetic fields.

But that's just one small aspect of the field. BMEs for example, could work for a commecial company that produces any number of medical devices - anything from pacemakers to artificial heart valves, to ultrasound transducers. There is obviously a lot over overlap with other fields of engineering.

evra said:
An Electrical Engineer might not know what Biochemistry is about, so how can he be a Biomedical Engineer??

You learn what you need to know. Graduate BME students may take some courses outside of tradiational engineering in order to work on their particular projects. Usually, BME projects are more about creating devices or algorithms that have particular biomedical applications. It's not necessary to know the "squishy science" side of things to the extend that MDs or biochemists might.

Thank you sir..

One other thing! in my country we have a very large medical research center but they have few Biomedical Engineers and there job is to fix spoil machines, spoiled centrifuges, pipettes etc.. so i was thinking maybe that the job of an electrical or mechanical engineer and not a biomedical star. any help??

chill and choppy, i am waiting for your wonderful inputs again!

I'm not sure exactly what your question is.

Remember that the term "biomedical engineer" can be applied rather liberally. In some places it may be used to refer to a biomedical technician, who is not necessarily a credentialled professional engineer.

ok.. i wanted to ask if fixing spoiled machines, spoiled centrifuges, pipettes etc is also part of biomedical engineering?

Choppy, i am still waiting for your reply.. can you kindly give me your email adress so that i will be contacting you directly..

regards

1. What is the difference between electrical engineering and biomedical engineering?

Electrical engineering focuses on the study and application of electricity, electronics, and electromagnetism, while biomedical engineering combines principles of engineering and medicine to develop solutions for healthcare and medical needs.

2. What skills are required to become an electrical and biomedical engineer?

To become an electrical and biomedical engineer, one must possess a strong foundation in math and science, critical thinking skills, problem-solving abilities, and a knowledge of computer programming and circuit design. Additionally, excellent communication and teamwork skills are also important in this field.

3. What kind of work does an electrical and biomedical engineer do?

An electrical and biomedical engineer may design and develop medical devices, such as pacemakers or imaging equipment, or work on improving existing technologies. They may also conduct research and experiments, analyze data, and collaborate with other professionals to solve complex medical problems.

4. What education is required to become an electrical and biomedical engineer?

To become an electrical and biomedical engineer, one must typically have a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering, biomedical engineering, or a related field. Some may also pursue a master's or doctoral degree for more specialized training and career opportunities.

5. What are some potential career paths for electrical and biomedical engineers?

Electrical and biomedical engineers can work in a variety of industries, including healthcare, medical device manufacturing, research and development, and academia. They may also specialize in areas such as medical imaging, prosthetics, or neural engineering.