1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrical Engineering - Circuits - Darlington Configuration

1. Oct 22, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine [itex]A_{V}[/itex] and [itex]A_{i}[/itex] given [itex]β_{D} = 8000[/itex] and [itex]V_{BE} = 1.6 V[/itex].

http://img801.imageshack.us/img801/6272/44tv.png [Broken]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not exactly sure how to solve this problem. This is a problem that my professor solved in class. The only problem is that I'm having a hard time understanding how he solved. I believe he made the approximation of assuming that the two transistors are one transistor. I don't see how else one is supposed to solve this problem. Under this assumption I drew the small signal equivalent.

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/4683/y7v6.png [Broken]

I start off by calculating [itex]I_{B}[/itex].

[itex]I_{B} = \frac{V_{CC} - V_{BE}}{R_{B} + β_{D}R_{E}} = \frac{18 V - 1.6 V}{3.3 MΩ \frac{10^{6} Ω}{MΩ} + (8000)390 Ω} ≈ 2.555x10^{-6} A[/itex]

Next I calculate [itex]I_{O}[/itex].

[itex]I_{C} = β_{D}I_{B} = 8000(2.555x10^{-6} A) = 2.04x10^{-2} A ≈ I_{E} = I_{O}[/itex]

Also [itex]V_{CC} = V_{C} = 18 V[/itex].

Next I calculate [itex]V_{O}[/itex].

[itex]V_{O} = V_{E} = V_{R_{E}} = I_{E}R_{E} = (2.04x10^{-2} A)(390 Ω) = 7.956 V[/itex]

Next I calculate [itex]V_{CE}[/itex].

[itex]V_{CE} = V_{C} - V{E} = 18 V - 7.956 V = 10.044 V[/itex]

Next I calculate [itex]r_{e}[/itex].

[itex]r_{e} = \frac{26 mV \frac{V}{10^{3} mV}}{2.04x10^{-2} A} ≈ 1.275 Ω[/itex]

Next I calculate [itex]β_{D}r_{e}[/itex].

[itex]β_{D}r_{e} = 8000(1.275 Ω) = 10200 Ω[/itex]

Next I calculate [itex]V_{βr_{e}}[/itex].

[itex]V_{βr_{e}} = I_{B}βr_{e} = (2.555x10^{-6} A)(10200 Ω) ≈ 2.606x10^{-2} V[/itex]

Next I calculate [itex]V_{I}[/itex].

[itex]V_{I} = V_{B} = V_{E} + V_{βr_{e}} = 7.956 V + 2.606x10^{-2} V ≈ 7.982 V[/itex]

Now I'm able to calculate [itex]A_{V}[/itex].

[itex]A_{V} = \frac{V_{O}}{V_{I}} = \frac{7.956 V}{7.982 V} ≈ 0.997[/itex]

Next I calculate [itex]I_{R_{B}}[/itex]

[itex]I_{R_{B}} = \frac{V_{B}}{R_{B}} = \frac{7.982 V}{3.3 MΩ \frac{10^{6} Ω}{MΩ}} ≈ 2.419x10^{-6} A[/itex]

Next I calculate [itex]I_{I}[/itex] using Kirchhoff's Current Law.

[itex]I_{I} = I_{R_{B}} + I_{B} = 2.419x10^{-6} A + 2.555x10^{-6} A = 4.974x10^{-6} A[/itex]

Finally I'm able to calculate [itex]A_{I}[/itex].

[itex]A_{I} = \frac{I_{O}}{I_{I}} = \frac{2.04x10^{-2} A}{4.974x10^{-6} A} ≈ 4104.628[/itex]

I don't know if these approximations are accurate and I'm not exactly sure how to properly draw the small signal analysis and how to solve this problem another way without being given β for each transistor. I'm concerned that my [itex]A_{V} < 1[/itex] and that my [itex]A_{I}[/itex] is so big. I would appreciate any help with this problem.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 23, 2013 #2

rude man

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your numbers are certainly approximately correct.

For an emitter follower the voltage gain is always < 1.

Your current gain seems a bit low, but it might be spot-on. I personally don't use models and assume the base voltage does not change with input voltage, in which case the current gain = beta = 8000. So your current gain is certainly not high. (You on the other hand are not allowed to make that assumption! :frown: )

In real lfe this circuit would never work. Beta is a very unstable (with temperature) and non-repeatable parameter for any transistor from unit to unit, so the emitter voltage would vary all over the place. Typically, circuits are designed assuming beta = infinity

Anyway, you were right to assume the Darlington is a single transistor with Vbe ~ 1.6V and beta = 8000.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted