1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrically connected charged balls

1. Mar 14, 2013 #1
    Hello,

I am reading through the problem given in this link: http://physicstasks.eu/uloha.php?uloha=300

There is one sentence I am particularly unsure of, "Charged ball's potential is in direct proportion to the charge of the ball and in reciprocal proportion to the ball's radius."

Why is this true? Is there some derivation for this?

Also, here is a passage I have a question about:

"When the balls are connected by a conductive wire, the charge can move from one ball to other. The ball with higher potential will be partly discharged trough the wire while charging the other ball. At the end of this process, both balls' potentials will be the same."

When the two sphere's are at the same electric potential, does this mean that each ball has the same amount of charge?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 14, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

The equation is Gausses Law.
    The result for a ball of charge is that the potential at radius r ≥ R (where R is the radius of the ball) is the same as if all the charge in/on the ball were concentrated at the center.

If the two spheres are at the same electric potential, they will not have the same charge unless they have the same radius. This follows from the previous result.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook