Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electricity and Magnetism for Engineers Texts

1. Jan 7, 2004 #1
    I just finished a Physics course in Electricity and Magnetism and never worked so hard for a 'B' in a class. I'd really like to go over the material once more to get a better handle on it during our break. I was thinking that a fresh approach with a different text might help, so I was hoping I could get some recommendations on textbooks. We used Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Serway, but I also have Engineering Electromagnetics by Hayt and Buck.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 7, 2004 #2
    I haven's seen Hayt's book but I have an excellent book he wrote on electronic circuits so it should be good. I really found Field & Wave Electromagnetics by David K. Cheng to be the most readable intro and it has an excellent chapter on vector calculus. That chapter alone was worth the money to me.

Engineering Electromagnetics by Inan and Inan is good too but it doesn't cover waves and is very expensive. The historical notes on who did what are interesting though.

The classic book for physicists on E&M is by Jackson but there are good reasons why it's used only in graduate school.
  4. Jan 7, 2004 #3
    Thanks for the recommendation.

I found some reasonably priced used copy of David Cheng's book on Amazon and read some good reviews. I'm going to give it a try.
  5. Jan 19, 2004 #4
    The books mentioned namely,Hyatt(though I find it to be relying too much on maths as a tool rather than sound physical explanations).

You should try out the book "Introduction to Electrodynamics" by David.J.Griffith, an excellent text with great emphasis on physical reasoning.I think this should help.

I am including a link where you can find a freely downloadable text.Its good and you can explore further by following the several other links mentioned therein.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?