Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electricity from Saltwater

1. Sep 7, 2014 #1
    There's a confusion before I proceed to the experiment of "Generate electricity out of Salt water"

-The variation types of metal that I can choose for replacing "Copper" and "Zinc" from the periodic table. How do I determine which combination will ends up with the maximum efficiency?
    -How long the metal will last to be effective (While Im replacing the electrolytes)

(This could be a dumb question due to, Im having no Chemistry knowledge)

Uhmm guys? Im in the correct section?
    Is this to be in the Chemistry section ??

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 7, 2014 #2

Nugatory

Staff: Mentor

You are trying to build a battery? Two dissimilar metals immersed in salt water?

4. Sep 7, 2014 #3
    Ya~
    Its a battery :tongue:

5. Sep 7, 2014 #4

adjacent

Gold Member

The metals with the greatest reactivity difference will be the most effective for this work

6. Sep 7, 2014 #5

Borek

Staff: Mentor

It is not producing electricity from the salt water, but from metals.

7. Sep 7, 2014 #6
    Whoops thanks for correcting :tongue:

8. Sep 7, 2014 #7
    So I'll just have to choose metal from Group 3 to Group 12 ?(Of course with the availability to brought it in market)

DOWN a Group: In METALS reactivity INCREASES as you go DOWN a Group because the farther down a Group of metals you go, the easier it is for electrons to be given or taken away, resulting in higher reactivity.

So the metal that located at lower position in the periodic table will eventually easier to give out electron and the one which located at high will receive electron
    (The one who give out electron will be -ve ?)
    (The one who receive electron will be +ve?)
    Am I Right??

9. Sep 8, 2014 #8

adjacent

Gold Member

I'm not sure what you mean here. Is there a group 12? :eek:

Yes. You are right

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook