Can You Generate Electricity from Saltwater and Which Metals Should You Use?

• Thread starter shinnsohai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electricity
In summary, the conversation is about building a battery by using two dissimilar metals immersed in salt water. The person is asking for guidance on choosing the most effective metals for the battery and how long they will last. They also mention confusion about whether the metals should be chosen from Group 3 to Group 12 on the periodic table. It is clarified that the metals with the greatest reactivity difference will be the most effective, and the person is correct in assuming that the metal giving out electrons will be negative and the one receiving electrons will be positive.
shinnsohai
There's a confusion before I proceed to the experiment of "Generate electricity out of Salt water"

-The variation types of metal that I can choose for replacing "Copper" and "Zinc" from the periodic table. How do I determine which combination will ends up with the maximum efficiency?
-How long the metal will last to be effective (While I am replacing the electrolytes)

(This could be a dumb question due to, I am having no Chemistry knowledge)Uhmm guys? I am in the correct section?
Is this to be in the Chemistry section ??

Last edited:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
You are trying to build a battery? Two dissimilar metals immersed in salt water?

Nugatory said:
You are trying to build a battery? Two dissimilar metals immersed in salt water?
Ya~
Its a battery :tongue:

shinnsohai said:
How do I determine which combination will ends up with the maximum efficiency?

The metals with the greatest reactivity difference will be the most effective for this work

shinnsohai said:
There's a confusion before I proceed to the experiment of "Generate electricity out of Salt water"

shinnsohai said:
Ya~
Its a battery :tongue:

It is not producing electricity from the salt water, but from metals.

Borek said:
It is not producing electricity from the salt water, but from metals.

Whoops thanks for correcting :tongue:

adjacent said:
The metals with the greatest reactivity difference will be the most effective for this work

So I'll just have to choose metal from Group 3 to Group 12 ?(Of course with the availability to brought it in market)

DOWN a Group: In METALS reactivity INCREASES as you go DOWN a Group because the farther down a Group of metals you go, the easier it is for electrons to be given or taken away, resulting in higher reactivity.

So the metal that located at lower position in the periodic table will eventually easier to give out electron and the one which located at high will receive electron
(The one who give out electron will be -ve ?)
(The one who receive electron will be +ve?)
Am I Right??

shinnsohai said:
So I'll just have to choose metal from Group 3 to Group 12 ?
I'm not sure what you mean here. Is there a group 12? :eek:

shinnsohai said:
(The one who give out electron will be -ve ?)
(The one who receive electron will be +ve?)
Am I Right??
Yes. You are right

What is electricity from saltwater?

Electricity from saltwater is a process that involves using the ions in saltwater to generate electrical energy. This is done through a chemical reaction called electrolysis, where an electrical current is passed through the saltwater to separate the ions and create electricity.

How does electricity from saltwater work?

In electricity from saltwater, two electrodes are placed in the saltwater solution, each connected to a wire and a power source. The saltwater acts as an electrolyte, allowing the flow of electricity between the electrodes. The electrical current causes the ions in the saltwater to move and create a potential difference, generating electricity.

What are the benefits of using electricity from saltwater?

One of the main benefits of using electricity from saltwater is that it is a renewable and sustainable source of energy. Saltwater is readily available and does not produce harmful emissions like traditional fossil fuels. Additionally, the materials and equipment needed for this process are relatively inexpensive and easy to obtain.

What are the limitations of electricity from saltwater?

One of the limitations of electricity from saltwater is that it is not a highly efficient process. The amount of energy produced is relatively low compared to other methods of generating electricity. Additionally, the equipment used in this process may corrode over time due to the corrosive nature of saltwater.

What are some potential applications of electricity from saltwater?

Electricity from saltwater can be used in various applications, including in desalination plants to produce clean drinking water, powering small devices such as calculators and watches, and even in larger scale energy production to power homes and businesses. It can also be used in emergency situations where traditional power sources are not available.