Electricity generation - simple bike dynamo - can anyone explain this design?

In summary, the bike dynamo aka generator uses a spinning magnet in a iron cored coil to induce a voltage into the coil. The iron core and wires are not moving, which is required for current generation. The flux lines are concentrated within the iron core, which is why the generator is more efficient with the core present.
Steve143
http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/9523/dynamos.jpg

I understand that when the rotating magnet spins, current should be induced in the coils which powers the lights.

So what is the point of the soft iron core? The rotating magnet should magnetise it because it is near it, and it should become an electromagnet when current flows through the wire, but I can't see a point to any of this. I would think the design should work even if you replaced the soft iron core with a piece of wood because I think all you really need is for the magnet to spin near the wires for the electricity you need.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
The soft iron has a very high magnetic permeability and essentially the magnetic field lines are concentrated (or focused) within it. So the magnetic flux through the coil is much larger with the soft iron present than if you were to replace the soft iron with a non-magnetic material like wood. You might start reading here.

The point of the core is to maximize the magnetic flux through the center of the solenoid.
Without it, there would still be some flux through the coil - just not as much, so you won't get as much electricity for the speed.

I see, so the rotating magnet is not strong enough to power the lights on its own which is why the iron core is needed.

However the iron core and the wires are not moving moving relative to each other (From the picture it looks like the rotating magnet spins but everything else remains in place) which I believe is a requirement for current generation, so how does this electromagnet supply the wires wrapped around it with voltage?

Last edited:
Hi Steve

its not an electromagnet...
An electromagnet is a coil with an iron core that YOU supply voltage to to generate a magnetic field
The bike dynamo aka generator uses a spinning magnet in a iron cored coil to induce a voltage into the coil

have a look at Lenz's Law ... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenz's_law[/PLAIN]

cheers
Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
I see, so the rotating magnet is not strong enough to power the lights on its own which is why the iron core is needed.
It may or may not be needed - but the iron core makes the generator more efficient - so you don't have to pedal as hard to get the same speed.

Note: you only need a changing magnetic flux through the coils to induce electric current - the flux changes as the position of the rotating magnet changes. The effect of the core is to concentrate that flux.

Try sketching the flux lines from an overhead diagram of the setup.

1. How does a simple bike dynamo generate electricity?

A simple bike dynamo works by converting the mechanical energy from pedaling into electrical energy. As the bike wheel turns, the dynamo uses a magnetic field and a wire coil to induce an electrical current. This current can then be used to power devices such as lights or charging ports.

2. What materials are needed for a simple bike dynamo?

A simple bike dynamo typically consists of a magnet, a wire coil, and a metal brush. The magnet creates the magnetic field, the wire coil serves as the conductor, and the metal brush collects the electricity generated.

3. How much electricity can a simple bike dynamo generate?

The amount of electricity generated by a simple bike dynamo depends on the speed at which the wheel is turning and the strength of the magnet. Generally, a simple bike dynamo can generate enough electricity to power small devices such as lights or charging ports.

4. Can anyone use a simple bike dynamo?

Yes, anyone can use a simple bike dynamo as long as they have a bike with a functioning dynamo and the necessary materials to connect it to a device. It is a simple and accessible way to generate electricity, making it a popular choice for outdoor activities or emergency situations.

5. Are there any limitations to using a simple bike dynamo?

One limitation of a simple bike dynamo is that it only generates electricity when the bike is in motion. This means that if the bike is stationary, there is no electricity being produced. Additionally, the amount of electricity generated may not be sufficient for larger devices or appliances.