Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electricity through moving conductive liquid

1. Apr 18, 2015 #1
    We Know that in conductive Solids there are lots of free electrons available & they drift when electric field is applied. Their drift velocity is in the range of mm/sec to cm/sec. Now if we consider any conductive liquid which is flowing & we connect the electrodes in such fashion that the flow of liquid is in or opposite direction of the electrons. (let's assume the liquid is Mercury). So will the velocity of the liquid medium affect the value of electric current? or more precisely will it affect the resistance?
    What happens when the flow becomes turbulent?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2015 #2

RaulTheUCSCSlug

Gold Member

I believe since the flow of electricity can be seen like pushing tennis balls through a tube that is already filled with tennis balls, the velocity of the liquid medium, should not affect the velocity of the current. I know that Mercury in a gaseous form is used in light bulbs so that it may ionize better, but not sure of its properties as a liquid.

I always believed that liquids were fairly neutral, unless they are heavy in electrolytes, and that is what affects the flow of current from within the liquid. As for a moving liquid affecting its resistance, I am not very sure. A very interesting question indeed!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook