1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrodynamic Question about Metal.

1. May 26, 2010 #1
    I am sorta having a brain fart about this, when sending electricity threw a metal it becomes negatively charged correct?

The electrons leave the negative terminal, pass threw the metal causing it to become negatively charged than meet the protons in the positive terminal. Correct?

Am I missing anything?

I feel like I am missing something about resistors, inverters, capacitors or something...
  2. jcsd
  3. May 26, 2010 #2
    Yes, realistically it is the electrons that move through a metal conductor when a voltage is applied across the metal.

However the metal itself is not charged. Electrons move, yes, however that move at a fairly constant rate throughout the metal.
  4. May 27, 2010 #3
    The metal can be charged, but it would depend on the capacitance of the conductor and the voltage involved. The negative terminal would tend to have a negative charge because it is at a lower voltage, but it is not determined without specifying the entire configuration.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook