How can I speed up the electrolytic rust removal process?

• Thread starter the mitch
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rust
In summary, there is no way to speed up the rust removal process. Right now, there is a basic base in the water aka sodium bicarbonate. I need some way of speeding up the current flowing through by lowering the resistance. Maybe the chemistry guys can help. Do you have a means to increase the voltage? Be careful of the hydrogen gas. It is a process I have little knowledge about but the basic are, I think:1. Consider the solution as the “load” on the power supply (welder).2. The load is the circuit component that restricts current flow.3. The solution I believe will not provide a linear response to voltage changes
the mitch
is there any way to speed up the rust removal process.right now ther is a basic base in the water aka sodium bicarbonate. i need some way of speeding up the current flowing through by lowering the resistance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe the chemistry guys can help. Do you have a means to increase the voltage? Be careful of the hydrogen gas.

its outside, i need to find an arc welder for power sorce. 100 amps, 50 volts dc, 100% duty cycle

have you tried increasing the concentration of the sodium bicarbonate solution.?

How does electrolytic dust removal work?

same electrolsis of water to make hydrogen. just it converts the base rust to iron and the rest flakes off. just google electolytic rust removal. amazing what it can do.

Yeah it does work great, I used it to remove rust on some very old tools from my dad. I was in no hurry so I just used an auto battery.

It is a process I have little knowledge about but the basic are, I think:

Consider the solution as the “load” on the power supply (welder).

The load is the circuit component that restricts current flow.

The solution I believe will not provide a linear response to voltage changes, if one doubles the voltage I do not believe the current will double as it would using a resistive load.

I think using a larger electrode will increase the current flow.

As mentioned a higher concentration of bicarb should help, perhaps a weak acid may do better, but I’m out of my basic knowledge on that.

The load determines the amount of current for any given voltage, not the welder’s output current capacity; you will be well short of that.

Lastly, if you are able to get I amp to flow at 100vc, you will be dissipating 100watts through heating the solution. It will rapidly evaporate or boil, so be careful to keep it topped up.

[edit] It is a DC welder I hope.

[edit 2] Electrode choice. I think you need to use the same material for the electrode as the rusty parts are made from, presumably iron. If you use copper, you might end up copper plating the parts (?).

Last edited by a moderator:

What is electrolytic rust removal?

Electrolytic rust removal is a process that uses electricity to remove rust from metal objects. It involves immersing the object in an electrolytic solution and passing a direct current through it, causing the rust to transfer from the object to a sacrificial anode.

How does electrolytic rust removal work?

Electrolytic rust removal works by using the principles of electrolysis. The object to be cleaned is connected to the positive terminal of a power source, and a sacrificial anode made of a more reactive metal, such as iron or aluminum, is connected to the negative terminal. When the current is passed through the solution, the rust on the object is converted back into iron and transfers to the anode, leaving the object clean.

What type of objects can be cleaned using electrolytic rust removal?

Electrolytic rust removal can be used on a wide range of metal objects, including tools, automotive parts, antiques, and even large objects such as boats or bridges. It is safe for use on most metals, including iron, steel, copper, brass, and aluminum.

What are the advantages of using electrolytic rust removal?

One of the main advantages of electrolytic rust removal is that it is a non-abrasive method, meaning it will not damage the surface of the object being cleaned. It is also a relatively quick and efficient process, and does not require the use of harsh chemicals. Additionally, the process can be repeated multiple times without causing damage to the object.

Are there any safety concerns when using electrolytic rust removal?

While electrolytic rust removal is generally considered a safe and environmentally-friendly method, there are a few safety precautions to keep in mind. The electrolytic solution can be corrosive, so it is important to wear gloves and protective eyewear when handling it. Additionally, it is important to use a power source with a ground fault circuit interrupter (GFCI) to prevent electric shock.