Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagetic movement of water

1. Nov 6, 2007 #1

I was wondering how strong an electromagnet would have to be to move water, such as a low stream from a tap or something..

I searched the forum a bit to the answer to this, and while i did discover that an electromagnetic field of sufficient strength will move water, the strength required was not described.

The reason i ask is because i was thinking of making a modification to one of those tabletop water feature fountains as a gift idea. Is this even possible? Is there a better way? Or should i just go with a voucher or something...

Thanks in advance.
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 6, 2007 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Moving water magnetically just isn"t going to happen. Try to find a different gift :eek:)
  4. Nov 6, 2007 #3

Staff: Mentor

It takes an enormous amount of power. A prototype ship was built using this idea (think: "The Hunt for Red October"). It used massive superconducting electromagnets and was only able to move at 2 mph.
  5. Nov 6, 2007 #4
    Cool. Back to the drawing board then.. Thanks for the help guys.
  6. Nov 7, 2007 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

One possibility would be to induce an electric current through the steam of water, now you may be able to move the water by varying an external magnetic field.

The quesion would be how to induce the current.... safely.
  7. Nov 7, 2007 #6
    You put electrodes in the water between the magnet poles. The electrodes have to be perpendicular to the wate flow.

I believe and old microwave oven magnet would work. You may have to put salt in the water to get enought current. I believe on the order of an amp
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?