Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Electromagnet attracting permas

1. May 27, 2017 #1
    I wired a quick weak electromagnet. How come when I put a small permanent magnet close to it, both sides of the permanent magnet (north and south) are attracted to the same side of the electromagnet?

2. jcsd
  3. May 27, 2017 #2

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Hi and welcome
    What you saw was a bit hard to understand. If, indeed, the electromagnet was weak and the small permanent magnet was comparatively stronger then your result was interesting but not too uncommon.
    The result you got, implies to me that the electromagnet must have an Iron core and your small permanent magnet was inducing its own field in the electromagnet (iron) core. It was attracting it just the same as it would if the electromagnet were turned off (possibly with a bit less force in on orientation).

4. May 27, 2017 #3
    This is what I was thinking was happening. Which leads me to another question, if that is the case: can I make an electromagnet with a non -ferrous core and still have a defined magnetic field shape and still some strength to it?

5. May 27, 2017 #4

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think that would be ok as long as you could make a strong enough electromagnet without an iron core.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted