Electromagnet attracting permas

In summary, the conversation discussed the results of using a weak electromagnet and a small permanent magnet. The speaker explains that the electromagnet must have an iron core and the permanent magnet induces its own field in the core, causing both sides of the permanent magnet to be attracted to the same side of the electromagnet. The conversation then leads to a question about whether an electromagnet can be made with a non-ferrous core and still have a defined magnetic field shape and strength.
Shortyski13
I wired a quick weak electromagnet. How come when I put a small permanent magnet close to it, both sides of the permanent magnet (north and south) are attracted to the same side of the electromagnet?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi and welcome
What you saw was a bit hard to understand. If, indeed, the electromagnet was weak and the small permanent magnet was comparatively stronger then your result was interesting but not too uncommon.
The result you got, implies to me that the electromagnet must have an Iron core and your small permanent magnet was inducing its own field in the electromagnet (iron) core. It was attracting it just the same as it would if the electromagnet were turned off (possibly with a bit less force in on orientation).

This is what I was thinking was happening. Which leads me to another question, if that is the case: can I make an electromagnet with a non -ferrous core and still have a defined magnetic field shape and still some strength to it?

I think that would be ok as long as you could make a strong enough electromagnet without an iron core.

1. How does an electromagnet attract permanent magnets?

An electromagnet attracts permanent magnets through the creation of a magnetic field. When an electric current is passed through the coil of the electromagnet, it creates a magnetic field that is strong enough to attract the permanent magnet towards it.

2. What is the difference between an electromagnet and a permanent magnet?

An electromagnet is a temporary magnet that is created when an electric current is passed through a coil of wire. On the other hand, a permanent magnet is a magnet that retains its magnetism without the need for an external electric current.

3. Can an electromagnet attract all types of permanent magnets?

Yes, an electromagnet can attract all types of permanent magnets as long as the magnetic field created by the electromagnet is strong enough to overcome the magnetic field of the permanent magnet.

4. How can the strength of an electromagnet be increased to attract more permanent magnets?

The strength of an electromagnet can be increased by increasing the number of turns in the coil, increasing the current passing through the coil, or using a magnetic core such as iron or steel to concentrate the magnetic field.

5. Are there any practical applications of electromagnet attracting permanent magnets?

Yes, there are many practical applications of electromagnet attracting permanent magnets. Some examples include generators, electric motors, MRI machines, and magnetic levitation trains. This phenomenon is also used in many everyday items such as speakers, doorbells, and credit card readers.