Electromagnet, current vs voltage, same?

In summary, the strength of an electromagnet is determined by the product of amps and turns. Therefore, an electromagnet with 10vDC at 10amp would be 10 times stronger than one with 100vDC at 1amp. However, it is not possible to change the number of turns, only the wire gauge and voltage can be adjusted.
supak111
Would these two electromagnets be the same strength? I can NOT change turns, I can only change wire gauge and voltage.
What are the advantages if any of either one?

Electromagnet with at: 10vDC at 10amp - VS - 100vDC at 1amp

[Mentor's Note: Thread Title Edited]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
supak111 said:
Would these two electromagnets be the same strength? I can NOT change turns, I can only change wire gauge and voltage.
What are the advantages if any of either one?

Electromagnet with at: 10vDC at 10amp - VS - 100vDC at 1amp

The strength of the magnet is proportional to (amps * turns).

Oh ok that answers my question then. 10v at 10amp would be 10x times stronger then. Thanks

(This post deleted because I missed your comment about being able to change the wire gauge.)

1. What is an electromagnet?

An electromagnet is a type of magnet created by passing an electric current through a coil of wire. The wire is usually wrapped around a magnetic core material, such as iron, and when the current flows through the wire, it creates a magnetic field around the core.

2. How does an electromagnet work?

An electromagnet works by using the principles of electromagnetism. When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a magnetic field around the wire. This magnetic field can be amplified by wrapping the wire into a coil and using a core material, making the electromagnet stronger.

3. What is the difference between current and voltage?

Current and voltage are both measures of electricity, but they are different concepts. Current is the measure of the flow of electric charge, while voltage is the measure of the potential difference between two points in an electric circuit. In simpler terms, current is the amount of electricity flowing through a circuit, while voltage is the force that drives the current.

4. Are current and voltage the same thing in an electromagnet?

No, current and voltage are not the same thing in an electromagnet. While both are involved in the creation and functioning of an electromagnet, they serve different purposes. The current is responsible for creating the magnetic field, while the voltage is the force that drives the current.

5. How do current and voltage affect the strength of an electromagnet?

The strength of an electromagnet is directly related to the amount of current flowing through the wire and the number of coils in the wire. The greater the current and the more coils, the stronger the electromagnet will be. Voltage, on the other hand, does not directly affect the strength of an electromagnet, but it is necessary to have enough voltage to create the desired amount of current.