Help to make a solenoid/Electromagnet.

In summary, when making an electromagnet with a maximum diameter of 20mm, including winding, you should consider the following factors: choosing the appropriate wire and number of turns, determining the desired magnetic induction (1-1.2 Tesla recommended), and calculating the voltage based on the wire length and resistance. It is also important to consider the power consumption and temperature of the magnet, depending on whether it will be constantly switched on or turned on and off. Any further assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Shahryar
I need to make an electromagnet with maximum 20mm dia including winding.
I have an iron core of 10mm dia and 20mm length.

I can't decide
- which wire to choose,
- what no. of turns should i provide
- how much current should i pass through the wire.
- what should be the voltage.

Any help and advice will be highly appreciated.
Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Shahryar said:
- what no. of turns should i provide
- how much current should i pass through the wire.
Don't think of N and I separately. Think of N*I = some constant, which induces a constant magnetic induction ( B-field with the unit [Tesla] ).
How many Tesla do you want? ( I will suggest 1 - 1,2 Tesla max. ).
Shahryar said:
- which wire to choose,
Make some sketch of the cross section of the magnet: The area of the coil must be kept within your given limits: 20mm dia * 20mm length.
Shahryar said:
- what should be the voltage.
Calculate the length of the wire. Knowing the cross section area of the wire you can calculate the resistance of the wire.
V = R * I

The rest: Will the magnet be switched on constantly or on/off ( how much mean-power will it consume, what will its temperature be? ).

1. How does a solenoid/electromagnet work?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that carries an electric current. When an electric current flows through the wire, it creates a magnetic field. This magnetic field causes the solenoid to act like a magnet, attracting or repelling other objects.

2. What materials are needed to make a solenoid/electromagnet?

To make a solenoid, you will need a copper wire, a battery or power source, and a ferromagnetic core (such as iron or steel). You may also need a switch or other components, depending on the specific design of your solenoid.

3. How do I determine the number of turns needed for the solenoid?

The number of turns needed for a solenoid depends on the strength of the magnetic field you want to create. Generally, the more turns of wire in the solenoid, the stronger the magnetic field will be. You can calculate the number of turns needed using the equation N = (μ0 * I * A * n) / l, where N is the number of turns, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current, A is the cross-sectional area of the solenoid, n is the number of layers, and l is the length of the solenoid.

4. How can I control the strength of the solenoid/electromagnet?

The strength of a solenoid can be controlled by adjusting the current flowing through the wire or by changing the number of turns in the coil. You can use a variable power supply or different gauges of wire to adjust the current, or add or remove turns of wire from the coil to change the strength of the magnetic field.

5. What are some practical applications for solenoids/electromagnets?

Solenoids and electromagnets have a wide range of applications in everyday life, from doorbells and speakers to MRI machines and electric motors. They are also used in industrial machinery, medical equipment, and in scientific research. Solenoids are often used as switches, while electromagnets are used for lifting and moving objects, among other things.