Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic Coil Strength from Moving Liquids?

1. Jan 9, 2015 #1
    I was reading about drift velocity and according to http://amasci.com/miscon/speed.html 100VDC at 1A moving through ~12 AWG wire would produce an electron velocity of 8.4 cm/hr. Since that is incredibly slow I'm curious if a charged fluid (something like the oil used in an oil-based van de graff generator with an external high-voltage charge applied to it to) could be used to generate a much more powerful magnetic field than is possible with a copper coil? Something on the order of 507042.25 cm/hr (6L/min in 3/8" ID tubing) could easy be attained with the same wattage of off the shelf components suggesting if the mobile ions are the same the coil would produce a field ~60362.17 times more powerful than a copper wire. Am I missing something here or is this feasible?

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 9, 2015 #2

Doug Huffman

Gold Member

What charge density can you accomplish with your ionic fluid? Electron density is not dependent on macroscopic ionized molecules.

4. Jan 9, 2015 #3
    Where might I find that information? Is it related to the voltage the fluid is charged to?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook