Electromagnetic energy of a long wire

In summary, the conversation discusses the total energy of a system with a current in a long wire. It is mentioned that the electric field inside the wire and the magnetic field outside it both contribute to the total energy, with the electric field also appearing as magnetic energy. It is further explained that the energy in the magnetic field comes from the work against the back EMF, which is done by the battery or source of the current. The conversation also touches on the relationship between energy and potential difference, as well as the transmission of energy in the circuit. The concept of back EMF is clarified as the field opposite of the induced electrical field from the magnetic field.
hokhani
When we have a current in a long wire, what is the kind of total energy of the system? We do have an electric field inside the wire and a magnetic field outside it. I think the electric field has an energy, say E, and it is only this energy which appears also as magnetic energy and we don't have to take the sum of electric energy and magnetic energy as the total energy. Am I right?! Could anyone help me please?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean if there's a current through the wire? Or are you talking about a line charge and an external magnetic field?

Astrum said:
Do you mean if there's a current through the wire?
yes.

You're really asking about the energy stored in E-fields and B-fields. The work to create a charge distribution (static) is ##W_e = \frac{\epsilon _0}{2} \int E^2 d\tau ## and to create a magnetic field you need to go against the back emf, so the work is ##W_m = \frac{1}{2\mu _0}\int B^2 d\tau##.

At this point we can see that $$U_{em} = \frac{1}{2} \int \left( \epsilon_0 E^2 + \frac{1}{\mu _0} B^2 \right) d\tau$$

Of course, the more complete and general expression is[/PLAIN] Poynting's Theorem.

You can look up the details and the full deriviation, but the general idea is that we rewrite the Lorenz force as work form. ##\mathbf F \cdot d \mathbf l = q(\mathbf E + \mathbf v \times \mathbf B ) \cdot \mathbf v = \mathbf E \cdot \mathbf v dt ## and rewrite it as ##\frac{dW}{dt} = \int (\mathbf E \cdot \mathbf J ) d\tau##

From that point you need to play with vector identities and Faraday's law. It's a little bit messy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you. By this you imply that once the circuit becomes open and the current starts, some of electrical energy is transferring to magnetic energy so there is an opposition against the increasing current. But after a while that current becomes constant, we would have total energy as sum of electric and magnetic energy. Don't you?

hokhani said:
Thank you. By this you imply that once the circuit becomes open and the current starts, some of electrical energy is transferring to magnetic energy so there is an opposition against the increasing current. But after a while that current becomes constant, we would have total energy as sum of electric and magnetic energy. Don't you?

The energy in ##\mathbf B## comes from having to do work against the back emf, this is work that needs to be done by the battery.

All the work done here is from the battery (or source of the current) rather than the fields themselves. Or at least that's the way I understand it.

hokhani said:
When we have a current in a long wire, what is the kind of total energy of the system? We do have an electric field inside the wire and a magnetic field outside it. I think the electric field has an energy, say E, and it is only this energy which appears also as magnetic energy and we don't have to take the sum of electric energy and magnetic energy as the total energy. Am I right?! Could anyone help me please?

1.We also have electric field outside the wire.

Do you know the potential difference? Roughly speaking, you can draw the electric lines from high potential to low potential in space.

2.As you've said, we have magnetic field outside the wire.

So, we have to take the sum of electric energy and magnetic energy as the total energy outside the wire if you just want to calculate the total energy. Perhaps the transmission power is also something you want to know. Then, you can calculate it outside the wire by poynting vector.

3.Enery is transmitted in space, rather than in circuit.
what-is-energy-lightbulb1-300x277.png

Please see this circuit simulation. I think this will help you!

http://www.oberlin.edu/physics/dstyer/CircuitSurveyor/

Astrum said:
The energy in ##\mathbf B## comes from having to do work against the back emf, this is work that needs to be done by the battery.

All the work done here is from the battery (or source of the current) rather than the fields themselves. Or at least that's the way I understand it.

When you say back EMF do you mean the field opposite of the induced electrical field from the magnetic field, or the induced field itself?

1. What is electromagnetic energy?

Electromagnetic energy refers to the energy that is generated by the movement of electrically charged particles. It is a form of energy that can travel through space as a wave and can be seen in various forms such as light, radio waves, and X-rays.

2. How is electromagnetic energy related to a long wire?

A long wire can carry an electrical current, which creates a magnetic field around it. This magnetic field then interacts with the electric field of the wire, producing electromagnetic energy. The amount of energy produced depends on the length and thickness of the wire, as well as the strength of the current flowing through it.

3. What is the formula for calculating the electromagnetic energy of a long wire?

The formula for calculating the electromagnetic energy of a long wire is E = (I^2 * L)/(2 * pi * r), where E is the energy, I is the current, L is the length of the wire, and r is the distance from the wire.

4. How can electromagnetic energy of a long wire be harnessed for practical use?

The electromagnetic energy produced by a long wire can be harnessed for practical use in various ways. For example, it can be used to power electrical devices, such as motors and generators. It can also be converted into other forms of energy, such as heat or light, for different applications.

5. What are the potential risks associated with the electromagnetic energy of a long wire?

The main risk associated with the electromagnetic energy of a long wire is the potential for electric shock if proper precautions are not taken. Additionally, the magnetic field produced by the wire can interfere with electronic devices and equipment if they are in close proximity. It is important to handle and use long wires with caution to avoid any potential risks.