Electromagnetic force between Parallel Currents

In summary: EIn summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between two parallel wires carrying electric currents and the resulting electromagnetic force. The question is raised about whether this phenomenon applies to purely charged particles, and if there are any experimental studies on the subject. The concept of electric and magnetic forces is also explored, with a reference to a textbook for clarification. The conversation concludes with a discussion on the behavior of charges producing a magnetic field and the role of electric fields in this process.
Dyon
Hi, sorry if this has been asked before.
It is known that two parallel wires carrying electric currents in the same direction attract one another. The force is known as electromagnetic force.

My question is whether this has been checked for two pure currents of charges. Specifically, whether there is any experiment in which two parallel electron beams (or positive ions) have been observed to attract one another in vacuum.

References to any published experimental work will be much appreciated. I have a very old reference with an experiment done by William Crookes in which he says that the electron beams repelled one another and I would like to double check this.

Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure it applies to "pure charges". A conductor is generally electrically neutral, whereas beams of charged particles are not.

Thanks Drakkith.
If this doesn't apply to pure charges, then is B = v x E for an electric charge (taken from Jackson's Electrodynamics) correct?

Dyon said:
is B = v x E for an electric charge (taken from Jackson's Electrodynamics) correct?

If it were not, would it be in Jackson, as well as in every other E&M textbook out there? :confused:

If you have two beams of electrons, there are both electric and magnetic forces. That does not invalidate the magnetic force law. You simply have to combine it with the electric force law:
$$\vec F = q (\vec E + \vec v \times \vec B)$$

So how do we reconcile this? Does a moving charge produce a magnetic field just as an electric current in a wire does?

Do we have an experimental measurement of the B produced by a moving electric charge (as eqn. 1534 says)?
I would appreciate a reference to an experimental work.
Thanks.

So in general we have F ⃗ =q(E ⃗ +v ⃗ ×B ⃗ ).
Then the difference between the behavior of currents in wires and beams of pure charges moving in vacuum is that, in the former case E ⃗ is zero because the wire is neutral and the force is reduced to F ⃗ =q(v ⃗ ×B ⃗ ), while in the latter case the full F ⃗ =q(E ⃗ +v ⃗ ×B ⃗ ) acts between the charges.
Did I get this correct?
Thanks.

Yes.

Ok, so the above is true for the force acting on a charge.

But what about the charges producing the B field?
For charges moving in a wire, their E field is nil since the wire is neutral. Then why does Jackson say that the B field produced by a charge moving in a wire is B = v x E where E is the electric field of the charge moving in the wire?

Dyon said:
Ok, so the above is true for the force acting on a charge.

But what about the charges producing the B field?
For charges moving in a wire, their E field is nil since the wire is neutral. Then why does Jackson say that the B field produced by a charge moving in a wire is B = v x E where E is the electric field of the charge moving in the wire?

E is an imaginary electric field. Imagine that the static charges don't exist.

Magnetic field caused by the moving charges: v x E

Magnetic field caused by the static charges: 0 (zero velocity x some electric field )

Total magnetic field is: (v x E) + 0

Last edited:

1. What is the electromagnetic force between parallel currents?

The electromagnetic force between parallel currents is the force that is exerted between two parallel conductors carrying electric currents. This force is caused by the interaction between the magnetic fields produced by the currents.

2. How does the distance between the parallel currents affect the electromagnetic force?

The electromagnetic force between parallel currents is inversely proportional to the distance between the currents. This means that as the distance increases, the force decreases and vice versa.

3. What happens to the electromagnetic force if the currents are flowing in the same direction?

If the currents are flowing in the same direction, the electromagnetic force between them will be attractive, meaning they will be pulled towards each other. This is because the magnetic fields produced by the currents will be in the same direction, causing them to interact and create a force.

4. Can the direction of the currents affect the electromagnetic force?

Yes, the direction of the currents can affect the electromagnetic force between them. If the currents are flowing in opposite directions, the force will be repulsive, meaning they will be pushed away from each other. This is because the magnetic fields produced by the currents will be in opposite directions, causing them to repel each other.

5. How is the electromagnetic force between parallel currents calculated?

The electromagnetic force between parallel currents can be calculated using the following formula: F = (μ₀I₁I₂L)/2πd, where F is the force in Newtons, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, I₁ and I₂ are the currents in amperes, L is the length of the conductors in meters, and d is the distance between the currents in meters.