Electromagnetic radiation and perturbation

In summary, the effects of electromagnetic radiation on the Hamiltonian of a matter are often treated as a perturbation because they are relatively small compared to other contributions. Each extra photon only brings in a factor of e^2, which is equal to 1/137. However, in some cases where the electric field is very strong, the perturbative approach may not work. In order to determine the effects of radiation, we can calculate the energy density of the electric field and the average electric field based on that.
hokhani
Why do we often treat the electromagnetic radiation effects on Hamiltonian of a matter as a perturbation? In the other words, why the effects of radiation is so little that is treated as a perturbation?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can calculate the electric field strength in atoms and in electromagnetic waves (both with classical formulas) - in many setups, the waves are a very small contributions (<<0.1%).

Likes 1 person
Each extra photon brings in a factor e^2, which equals 1/137 so "radiation is so little that is treated as a perturbation."

Meir Achuz said:
Each extra photon brings in a factor e^2, which equals 1/137 so "radiation is so little that is treated as a perturbation."
Ok, Thanks. But we have a great number of photons that seem to affect the system significantly. How about that? Am I wrong about that?

hokhani said:
Ok, Thanks. But we have a great number of photons that seem to affect the system significantly. How about that? Am I wrong about that?
Did you calculate the values I suggested?

mfb said:
Did you calculate the values I suggested?
In a very simple model, we can take the electric field of an atom proportional to [itex]
q/r^2
[/itex] in which q is the charge of nucleus and r is distance from its center. An electromagnetic wave is [itex]
E=E_0 exp(-i\omega t)
[/itex].I think we can consider [itex]
E_0
[/itex] as large as possible; can't we? Could you please guide me If I am wrong?

E0 can be very large, but then you need really powerful, focused lasers, and the perturbative approach does not work any more.

The energy density of an electric field in vacuum is ##\frac{\epsilon}{2} E^2##. Take a typical, weak laser with 1mW/mm^2, calculate the energy density, and calculate the average electric field based on that. The value is somewhere at a few V/cm.

Likes 1 person

Related to Electromagnetic radiation and perturbation

1. What is electromagnetic radiation?

Electromagnetic radiation is a type of energy that is transmitted through space in the form of waves. It is a combination of electric and magnetic fields that oscillate perpendicular to each other and travel at the speed of light.

2. How is electromagnetic radiation classified?

Electromagnetic radiation is classified according to its wavelength or frequency. The electromagnetic spectrum ranges from long-wavelength, low-frequency radio waves to short-wavelength, high-frequency gamma rays.

3. What is perturbation in relation to electromagnetic radiation?

Perturbation refers to any disturbance or change in the electromagnetic field caused by an external force or influence. This can include interference from other sources, absorption or reflection by materials, or changes in the electric or magnetic properties of the medium through which the radiation is traveling.

4. How does electromagnetic radiation interact with matter?

Electromagnetic radiation can interact with matter in several ways, including absorption, reflection, and scattering. When radiation is absorbed, it transfers its energy to the matter and can cause changes in the material's properties. Reflection occurs when radiation bounces off a surface without being absorbed, and scattering is when radiation is redirected in different directions by particles in the medium.

5. What are some practical applications of electromagnetic radiation?

Electromagnetic radiation has many practical applications in daily life, including communication technologies such as radio, television, and cell phones. It is also used in medical imaging, such as X-rays and MRIs, and in various industrial and scientific processes, including heating and sterilization. Additionally, the sun's electromagnetic radiation is essential for life on Earth, providing us with light and heat.