How can I increase the strength and volume of my electromagnetic speaker?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of using an electromagnet instead of a permanent magnet in a speaker to reduce weight and achieve different sound. However, the speaker's volume remains low and increasing the number of turns in the coil or changing the power source has not solved the issue. It is also mentioned that using the same AC power signal to power the electromagnet may not be a feasible solution due to self inductance and other technical issues. It is ultimately concluded that permanent magnets are the best option for achieving the necessary field strength and volume in a speaker.
viks505
Well I have tried a different approach to make speakers.

Normally speakers contain permanent magnets for producing sound using the property of electromagnetism when electric signals are passed through a coil kept in the magnetic field of Permanent Magnet. (ref: How Speakers Work frm How Stuff works).

now what i have tried to do here is replaced the permanent magnet of the speaker with an electromagnet.

keeping the principal of speaker in mind i hav even left the minor air gap between the core and coil (of electromagnet) for letting the coil with electric signals vibrate in the influence of magnetic field producing sound.

the basic idea while performing this was to reduce the weight of speaker along with obtaining difference in sound just by changing the strength of electromagnet.

i hav used a soft iron rod of 0.75" dia., 28 awg enameled copper wire, 12 V 500 mAh DC power supply for electromagnet.

the problem being faced here is i am unable to get the similar strength of electromagnet as that of Permanent magnet of the speaker. though i have achieved the sound objective but volume remains very low.

even increase in no. of turns of the coil and changing source to 12 V 3 Amps DC has not solved the problem.

what am i missing, should i go for any different approach in order to increase the field and sound volume

Engineering news on Phys.org
In the 1940's I disassembled pre-war (WW II) (vacuum tube) AM radio sets with electromagnet speakers. The electromagnet was a dc filter coil for the B+ (high voltage) dc supply...

Bob S

viks505 said:
Well I have tried a different approach to make speakers.

Normally speakers contain permanent magnets for producing sound using the property of electromagnetism when electric signals are passed through a coil kept in the magnetic field of Permanent Magnet. (ref: How Speakers Work frm How Stuff works).

now what i have tried to do here is replaced the permanent magnet of the speaker with an electromagnet.

keeping the principal of speaker in mind i hav even left the minor air gap between the core and coil (of electromagnet) for letting the coil with electric signals vibrate in the influence of magnetic field producing sound.

the basic idea while performing this was to reduce the weight of speaker along with obtaining difference in sound just by changing the strength of electromagnet.

i hav used a soft iron rod of 0.75" dia., 28 awg enameled copper wire, 12 V 500 mAh DC power supply for electromagnet.

the problem being faced here is i am unable to get the similar strength of electromagnet as that of Permanent magnet of the speaker. though i have achieved the sound objective but volume remains very low.

even increase in no. of turns of the coil and changing source to 12 V 3 Amps DC has not solved the problem.

what am i missing, should i go for any different approach in order to increase the field and sound volume

I believe that's why permanent magnets are used in speakers -- that's the best way to get the very high short-range fields needed to get loud volume.

I don't think you will achieve the field strength of modern speaker magnets easily with an electromagnet. There is also the 'green' issue of power consumption as you will need lots of current-turns which will involve higher voltages etc.. It could be real 'steam radio'!

Bob S said:
In the 1940's I disassembled pre-war (WW II) (vacuum tube) AM radio sets with electromagnet speakers. The electromagnet was a dc filter coil for the B+ (high voltage) dc supply...

Bob S

What is known as a hum bucker.

Has anyone ever tried just using the same AC power signal coming to the speaker voice coil to power the electromagnet? You would have to plan for the correct resistance of course.

It would have to be the opposite phase of the coil of course which would make them repel and attract.

I believe you would get the amps required and only be using them when necessary rather than trying to power an electromagnet the whole time.

Basically it would work like an AC motor.

THORPE said:
Has anyone ever tried just using the same AC power signal coming to the speaker voice coil to power the electromagnet? You would have to plan for the correct resistance of course.

It would have to be the opposite phase of the coil of course which would make them repel and attract.

I believe you would get the amps required and only be using them when necessary rather than trying to power an electromagnet the whole time.

Basically it would work like an AC motor.

The magnets in speakers are permanent magnets, not electromagnets.

If you tried to excite the Electromagnet with the audio signal then the self inductance would only allow significant current at the low frequencies. That would make the frequency response very glubby, not to mention the relative phase shift between the current in the voice coil and the varying magnetic field. Then, of course, you'd need a hugely powerful amplifier, compared with what's needed for a standard permanent magnet speaker. Hardly a serious engineering proposition.
If God had intended us to do it that way he'd never have given us neodymium magnets.

berkeman said:
The magnets in speakers are permanent magnets, not electromagnets.

I understand that. I was initially proposing to replace the permanent magnet with an electromagnet.
The answer below is great.

sophiecentaur said:
If you tried to excite the Electromagnet with the audio signal then the self inductance would only allow significant current at the low frequencies. That would make the frequency response very glubby, not to mention the relative phase shift between the current in the voice coil and the varying magnetic field. Then, of course, you'd need a hugely powerful amplifier, compared with what's needed for a standard permanent magnet speaker. Hardly a serious engineering proposition.
If God had intended us to do it that way he'd never have given us neodymium magnets.

Great answer. I didn't even think about the inductance. Doop!

What is an electromagnetic speaker?

An electromagnetic speaker is a type of speaker that uses an electromagnet to produce sound waves. It consists of a permanent magnet, a voice coil, and a cone or diaphragm. When an electric current is passed through the voice coil, it creates a magnetic field that interacts with the permanent magnet, causing the cone to vibrate and produce sound.

How do electromagnetic speakers work?

Electromagnetic speakers work by converting electrical energy into mechanical energy, which then produces sound waves. The voice coil is attached to the cone or diaphragm, and when an electric current is passed through it, it creates a magnetic field that interacts with the permanent magnet. This interaction causes the cone to vibrate and produce sound.

What are the advantages of using electromagnetic speakers?

One advantage of using electromagnetic speakers is their ability to produce high-quality sound with a wide frequency range. They are also relatively affordable and easy to manufacture. Additionally, electromagnetic speakers can handle high power inputs, making them suitable for use in large sound systems.

Are there any drawbacks to using electromagnetic speakers?

One potential drawback of electromagnetic speakers is their size and weight. They can be larger and heavier than other types of speakers, making them less portable. Additionally, they may require a separate power source, such as an amplifier, to work effectively.

What are some common applications of electromagnetic speakers?

Electromagnetic speakers are commonly used in a variety of audio devices, such as headphones, speakers for music systems, and public address systems. They are also used in televisions, computer monitors, and car audio systems. Additionally, electromagnetic speakers are used in medical devices, such as hearing aids, and in industrial equipment for producing sounds and alarms.