Electromagnetic wave before and after refraction

In summary, the question is about finding the phase difference between an incident ray and a transmitted ray in a glass plate. The given expression for E_u can help determine the direction of wave propagation and the direction of the incident and transmitted rays. Additional advice or hints may be helpful in solving the problem.
Breedlove

Homework Statement

This question is question 5 from chapter 4 of Hecht's Optics, 4th edition. I found a pdf of the homework set, and the question is labeled as 4.5. http://www.physics.byu.edu/faculty/hess/471W09/Homework/Ch4.pdf" [Broken]

Homework Equations

Not completely sure

The Attempt at a Solution

I saw my professor for help with this problem, and he told me that we have to find the phase difference in between the incident ray and the transmitted ray (from glass to air). If there are any other important pieces of advice or hints or possible diving boards from which I can jump into this problem, I would greatly appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
For starters, when you look at the expression given for [itex]E_u[/itex], can you tell which direction the wave is propagating? Which direction would such an incident wave travel once inside the glass plate? How about after it leaves it again?

What is an electromagnetic wave?

An electromagnetic wave is a type of energy that is created when an electric field and a magnetic field oscillate together. It does not require a medium to travel through, meaning it can travel through a vacuum.

What happens to an electromagnetic wave before refraction?

Before refraction, an electromagnetic wave travels in a straight line and at a constant speed. It does not change direction or speed unless it comes into contact with a medium.

What happens to an electromagnetic wave after refraction?

After refraction, an electromagnetic wave enters a new medium and its direction and speed are changed. The wave bends as it passes through the interface between two mediums with different densities.

How does refraction affect the wavelength and frequency of an electromagnetic wave?

Refraction does not affect the wavelength or frequency of an electromagnetic wave. These properties of the wave remain constant, but the speed and direction of the wave may change.

What is the relationship between the angle of incidence and the angle of refraction for an electromagnetic wave?

The angle of incidence and the angle of refraction for an electromagnetic wave are related by Snell's Law, which states that the ratio of the sine of the angle of incidence to the sine of the angle of refraction is equal to the ratio of the speeds of light in the two mediums.