1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnetic wave before and after refraction

1. Mar 1, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    This question is question 5 from chapter 4 of Hecht's Optics, 4th edition. I found a pdf of the homework set, and the question is labeled as 4.5. http://www.physics.byu.edu/faculty/hess/471W09/Homework/Ch4.pdf" [Broken]

2. Relevant equations
    Not completely sure

3. The attempt at a solution

I saw my professor for help with this problem, and he told me that we have to find the phase difference in between the incident ray and the transmitted ray (from glass to air). If there are any other important pieces of advice or hints or possible diving boards from which I can jump into this problem, I would greatly appreciate any help you can provide. Thanks!!!

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2010 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

For starters, when you look at the expression given for [itex]E_u[/itex], can you tell which direction the wave is propagating? Which direction would such an incident wave travel once inside the glass plate? How about after it leaves it again?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook