Electromagnetism and potential

In summary: Usually since we are dealing with one particle, the place with the highest potential has the highest electrostatic potential energy, while in areas of lower potential, more work is done on them and therefore have more kinetic energy.In summary, the particle is accelerated through a potential difference of 200V and gains more speed.
BruceEffect
1. A particle of charge q=6E-6C and mass m=1E-10kg is fired out of a charge gun towards the uniform magnetic field pointing into the page, B=0.50T. The particle moves vertically up originally and then accelerated through potential difference of 200V. There is a diagram of the B field going "into" the page. a) How fast is the particle moving when it leaves the gun? b) Does the particle exit the magnetic field to the left or right? Why? c) How far to the side does the particle exit the field?

Small attempt at diagram. The period is the particle. x is going "into" page
x x x x
x x x x
x x .x x

2. I'm not sure but these are the eqns I think might be relevant: F=ma, F=qvBsin(theta)It would help if even someone could just tell me all the eqns I need because I'm lost on this

3. I think I'm supposed to use a=F/m and F=qvBsin(theta) but I don't know how to find v.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is E in your two equations?
q=6E-6C and m=1E-10kg

Also, I'm having trouble understanding the diagram you've described. The particle leaves the gun which is aimed vertically and is immediately accelerated vertically through a potential difference of 200V? Or does it travel for some distance before being accelerated? And does it enter the magnetic field after being accelerated or is the magnetic field present as soon as it leaves the gun? What is the scale of the magnetic field? It must be confined to a certain area if the question asks how the particle exits the field.

Last edited:
CanIExplore said:
What is E in your two equations?
q=6E-6C and m=1E-10kg

Also, I'm having trouble understanding the diagram you've described. The particle leaves the gun which is aimed vertically and is immediately accelerated vertically through a potential difference of 200V? Or does it travel for some distance before being accelerated? And does it enter the magnetic field after being accelerated or is the magnetic field present as soon as it leaves the gun? What is the scale of the magnetic field? It must be a certain size if the question asks how the particle exits the field.

sorry. E is a way to express x10^

that was the only info given.

The diagram is supposed to be the tail ends of arrows going away from you to signify direction of field. The particle is placed there as a period. And the professor labeled "P" on the board and wrote next to it "Vo" which I assume is V nought.

BruceEffect said:
The particle is placed there as a period. And the professor labeled "P" on the board and wrote next to it "Vo" which I assume is V nought.

Ok then I'm assuming your professor meant that at the particle's initial position the potential is equal to the constant V[tex]_{0}[/tex]. Think about the particle before and after it is accelerated, what does it gain in being accelerated through the potential difference of 200V?

CanIExplore said:
Ok then I'm assuming your professor meant that at the particle's initial position the potential is equal to the constant V[tex]_{0}[/tex]. Think about the particle before and after it is accelerated, what does it gain in being accelerated through the potential difference of 200V?

gaining more velocity? Sorry. I'm a bit slow on the uptake

Which particle has a higher energy, a proton placed at a point where the potential is V[tex]_{0}[/tex] or a proton placed at a point where the potential is V[tex]_{1}[/tex]? Where V[tex]_{1}[/tex]>V[tex]_{0}[/tex].

Usually since we are dealing with one particle, the place with the highest potential has the highest electrostatic potential energy, while in areas of lower potential, more work is done on them and therefore have more kinetic energy.

Makes sense?

Related to Electromagnetism and potential

1. What is electromagnetism?

Electromagnetism is a branch of physics that deals with the study of the interaction between electrically charged particles and the effects of electric and magnetic fields.

2. How do electromagnets work?

Electromagnets work by running an electric current through a wire, creating a magnetic field. This magnetic field can attract or repel other magnets, and can be turned on or off by controlling the flow of electricity.

3. What is potential energy in relation to electromagnetism?

Potential energy in electromagnetism refers to the stored energy in an electric or magnetic field. This energy can be released when the field changes, such as when an electric current is turned on or off.

4. How is potential difference related to electromagnetism?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is a measure of the difference in electric potential between two points in an electric circuit. In electromagnetism, this potential difference can affect the strength and direction of the electric and magnetic fields.

5. How does electromagnetism relate to everyday life?

Electromagnetism plays a crucial role in our everyday lives. It is the basis of many modern technologies, such as electricity, motors, and generators. It also allows for wireless communication through electromagnetic waves.