What are some examples of fields with equal divergences and different curls?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding a pair of fields with equal divergences in a region, the same values on the boundary of that region, but different curls. The suggestion to use arbitrary fields in spherical coordinates is proposed and the idea of solving for conditions is mentioned. It is also suggested to take educated guesses or appeal to knowledge of electric and magnetic fields. Finally, it is mentioned that the divergence of the curl is always zero and that finding a solution may require curlF to be zero on the boundary of the region.
forty
Find a pair of fields having equal and divergences in some region, having the same values on the boundary of that region, and yet having different curls.

I really have no idea on where to start for this.

Would making up 2 arbitrary fields in spherical co-ordinates work?

a(theta) + b[tex]\phi[/tex] + r[tex]\hat{r}[/tex]
d(theta) + e[tex]\phi[/tex] + f[tex]\hat{r}[/tex] (where [tex]\phi[/tex] and (theta) are unit vectors, latex isn't working for me >.<)

Then trying to solve for the conditions mentioned?

I know that r[tex]\phi[/tex] and r2[tex]\phi[/tex] work on the sphere r=1 but I have no idea to go about deriving this. I think this has more to do with me not really grasping vector calculus. Any hints,tips,pointers greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
forty said:
Find a pair of fields having equal and divergences in some region, having the same values on the boundary of that region, and yet having different curls.

I really have no idea on where to start for this.

Would making up 2 arbitrary fields in spherical co-ordinates work?

a(theta) + b[tex]\phi[/tex] + r[tex]\hat{r}[/tex]
d(theta) + e[tex]\phi[/tex] + f[tex]\hat{r}[/tex] (where [tex]\phi[/tex] and (theta) are unit vectors, latex isn't working for me >.<)

Then trying to solve for the conditions mentioned?

There are infinitely many solutions and they depend on which region you are interested in, so I would think that "solving" such a system would be difficult.

Instead, you can either start taking educated guesses and then checking that your guess satisfies the given conditions, OR you can appeal to what you know about the physics of electric and magnetic fields...

I know that r[tex]\phi[/tex] and r2[tex]\phi[/tex] work on the sphere r=1 but I have no idea to go about deriving this.

Okay, this looks like a good "guess". To show that it satisfies the conditions, take the divergence and curl of each field and show that the divergences are equal and the curls are not. Then show that they both have the same value on the boundary.

You know that the divergence of the curl is always zero. If you write

B = A + curlF, then

divB = divA everywhere.

Now curlB must be different from curlA unless curlcurlF=0.
If curlF is zero on the boundary of your region, you're in business.

1. What is electromagnetism and how does it work?

Electromagnetism is the branch of physics that deals with the interactions between electricity and magnetism. It describes how electric charges and currents create magnetic fields, and how changing magnetic fields can induce electric currents. This phenomenon is governed by Maxwell's equations, which are a set of four equations that describe the relationship between electric and magnetic fields.

2. What is the concept of divergence in electromagnetism?

Divergence is a mathematical concept that describes the flow of a vector field out of a given point in space. In electromagnetism, the divergence of the electric field at a point represents the amount of electric flux coming out of that point. Similarly, the divergence of the magnetic field at a point represents the amount of magnetic flux coming out of that point.

3. How is the curl of a vector field related to electromagnetism?

The curl of a vector field is a measure of the rotation or circulation of that field around a given point. In electromagnetism, the curl of the electric field at a point represents the amount of circulation of the electric field around that point, while the curl of the magnetic field represents the amount of circulation of the magnetic field. This concept is important in understanding electromagnetic induction and the behavior of electromagnetic waves.

4. What is the significance of the electromagnetic field in electromagnetism?

The electromagnetic field is a fundamental concept in electromagnetism, as it represents the combined effects of the electric and magnetic fields in a given region of space. It is a vector field that describes the strength and direction of the electric and magnetic forces at any point in space. The behavior of this field is described by Maxwell's equations, and it is essential in understanding the behavior of electrically charged particles and electromagnetic waves.

5. How is electromagnetism used in everyday life?

Electromagnetism has countless practical applications in everyday life. Some common examples include electricity generation and distribution, electric motors and generators, telecommunication devices such as radios and cell phones, and medical imaging technologies like MRI machines. Electromagnetism also plays a crucial role in technologies such as computers, televisions, and transportation systems. Essentially, any device that uses electricity or produces a magnetic field is based on the principles of electromagnetism.