• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Electromagnetism/Magnetism concept questions.

• Thread starter Unillusive
  • Start date
Hey all. I'm not sure how conceptional questions work on this site... so I guess I'll try to attempt to answer them and you guys correct me if I'm wrong? Here goes:

For the statement below, write true or rewrite the quoted portion to make the statement true.
The "magnitude" of the magnetic force on a current-carrying wire depends on the strength of the magnetic field, the current in the wire, and the length of wire in the magnetic field.
- My answer: True because the magnetic field, current in the wire, and length of the magnetic field end up being the magnitude of the magnetic force...(Yeah, I'm not so sure)

How are the forces between charges similar to the forces between magnetic poles?
- My answer: Both are similar because they relate to geographic north and magnetic south...

Thank you.

Answers and Replies

For the statement below, write true or rewrite the quoted portion to make the statement true.
The "magnitude" of the magnetic force on a current-carrying wire depends on the strength of the magnetic field, the current in the wire, and the length of wire in the magnetic field.
- My answer: True because the magnetic field, current in the wire, and length of the magnetic field end up being the magnitude of the magnetic force...(Yeah, I'm not so sure)
Good, this is correct. You may, however, want to reference the following formula in your explanation:
[tex]\stackrel{\rightarrow}{F}=\stackrel{\rightarrow}{I}L\times\stackrel{\rightarrow}{B}[/tex]

How are the forces between charges similar to the forces between magnetic poles?
- My answer: Both are similar because they relate to geographic north and magnetic south...
Here you are supposed to be comparing the electric force between two charged particles to the magnetic force between two magnets.

Hi Unillusive ....
Conceptual questions or anything related to physics i guess works on this site....

Anyway coming to your questions the first one seems correct and i agree with your explaination.....
The second one needs to be more specific.....i think....wat do you say Beaker87?

I mean on what parameters do we have to compare......They are same if you say that like poles repel and unlike forces attract.....but thats it......
If you talk about electric field and stuff>>>they have a few differences.....

I was thinking that Unillusive could use the equations for the interaction between charged particles, and discuss any similarities to the equation for the interaction between magnets.

I.e. the inverse square relationship, and as you said, the fact that like charges attract, while unlike charges repel.

Ya......one can think in those lines......
I admit at this stage i dont know a whole lot about interaction of magnets......Interaction of charges are much simpler.......hmmm.....

i want some clearification here, i think that the last point, "lenght of the wire" is wrong cuz no matter how long the wire is, the magnetic force in that current carrying wire wud still be the same UNTIL any of these factors are altered :
1.the size of the current flowing through the current carrying wire
2.the number of coils made
3.the strenght of the magnet (thus the strenght of the magnetic field)

one more , a soft magnetic material placed inside the coil of wires (like a solonoid)

Thanks Beaker87 i will refer to that.....

and hms.tech....over here i dont see the relation of coils......i mean going by the formulay Bil=force the length l does play a role right?