Electromagnets and an induced magnetic field in aluminuium plates

It is important to note that the force generated by the electromagnet is always in opposition to the force of gravity, which is why the coils are being pushed into the scales.
I am trying to conduct an investigation based on the set up of a set of copper coils with AC ran through them to make them an electromagnet. Held above them inplace is an aluminium plate. I know that the changing magnetic field induces a current in the aluminium plate, which induces a voltage and then a magnetic field which is out of phase with the electromagnet, and so an oposing force is made. I am measuring the force by having a sensitive set of scales under the coil which measures the change in force on the coil.

However i am trying to investigate the effects of changing the electromagnet

I have already tried
-different diameter of wire.
-Differnt radius of the coils
-Different number of coils.
-Changing the current through the coils.

I have already discovered (i think) that it is a squared relationship for increasing the current and force.

However is there an equation for this?

Also, what kind of relationship should i expect with the other factors and why?

How exactly would i calculate the force that results in the copper coils being pushed into the scales? Measuring the change in weight only really gives me a sort of qualatative answer.

any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The force generated by an electromagnet can be calculated using the equation F=B*I*L, where F is the force, B is the magnetic field strength, I is the current, and L is the length of the wire in the coil. This equation can be used to calculate the force generated when changing the electromagnet parameters, such as the diameter of the wire, the radius of the coils, and the number of coils. The relationship between the current and the force generated should be a squared relationship, meaning that for every increase in current, there is a corresponding squared increase in the force generated. To directly measure the force generated by the coils, you can use a force meter or a torque meter. These instruments measure the force or torque applied to the device and can provide an accurate measurement of the force produced by the electromagnet.

Related to Electromagnets and an induced magnetic field in aluminuium plates

1. How do electromagnets work?

Electromagnets work by using an electric current to generate a magnetic field. When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a circular magnetic field around the wire. By coiling the wire, the magnetic field becomes stronger. This magnetic field can attract or repel other magnetic materials.

2. How are electromagnets different from permanent magnets?

Electromagnets can be turned on and off by controlling the flow of electricity, while permanent magnets have a constant magnetic field. Additionally, the strength of an electromagnet can be adjusted by changing the amount of current flowing through the wire, while the strength of a permanent magnet cannot be changed.

3. How can an induced magnetic field be created in aluminum plates?

An induced magnetic field can be created in aluminum plates by placing the plate inside a changing magnetic field. This changing magnetic field creates eddy currents in the aluminum plate, which in turn creates a magnetic field that opposes the original changing magnetic field. This phenomenon is known as electromagnetic induction.

4. What is the purpose of using aluminum plates in electromagnets?

Aluminum is a good conductor of electricity, which allows for the easy flow of eddy currents. These eddy currents create an opposing magnetic field, effectively reducing the overall strength of the electromagnet. This can be useful in certain applications where a weaker magnetic field is desired.

5. Can an induced magnetic field in aluminum plates be used for practical applications?

Yes, induced magnetic fields in aluminum plates have various practical applications. For example, it is used in electromagnetic braking systems in trains and roller coasters, where the changing magnetic field in the aluminum plates creates a force that slows down the object. It is also used in metal detectors, where the presence of metal creates eddy currents and changes the overall magnetic field, allowing for the detection of metal objects.