1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electromagnets and an induced magnetic field in aluminuium plates

1. Mar 5, 2009 #1
    I am trying to conduct an investigation based on the set up of a set of copper coils with AC ran through them to make them an electromagnet. Held above them inplace is an aluminium plate. I know that the changing magnetic field induces a current in the aluminium plate, which induces a voltage and then a magnetic field which is out of phase with the electromagnet, and so an oposing force is made. I am measuring the force by having a sensitive set of scales under the coil which measures the change in force on the coil.

However i am trying to investigate the effects of changing the electromagnet

I have already tried
    -different diameter of wire.
    -Differnt radius of the coils
    -Different number of coils.
    -Changing the current through the coils.

I have already discovered (i think) that it is a squared relationship for increasing the current and force.

However is there an equation for this?

Also, what kind of relationship should i expect with the other factors and why?

How exactly would i calculate the force that results in the copper coils being pushed in to the scales? Measuring the change in weight only really gives me a sort of qualatative answer.

any help would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?