1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electron Configuration - Notation Clarification

1. Jul 12, 2011 #1
    Warm greetings,

My confusion surronds Electron-orbitals...

My text describes the sub-shells s, p, d, and f. If s shell has 2 electrons in spherical orbit, and p shell 6 electrons in 3 lobed orbitals, where on earth are the other 2 electrons that complete the orbital shell of Neon? What is the '2s' shell? And why do all illustrations of the elements in the Periodic Table show 2 initial electrons surrounded by 8, thats eight, electrons in one shell!?

Thanks in advance for your clarification.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 12, 2011 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

2s is also "spherical" (isotropic). just as 1s (and every other s orbital).

The illustrations are referring to the number of electrons that share the same principal quantum number n (2 for n=1 etc)

4. Jul 12, 2011 #3
    Thanks

Is the 2s a sperical orbit overlayed/ontop of the initial 1s spherical orbit, or does it somehow add to a 1s orbit leading to a larger sphere?

5. Jul 12, 2011 #4
    Can anyone point me in the direction of an article that might answer my query, and provide evidence for this structure?

Thanks

6. Jul 12, 2011 #5

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

7. Jul 13, 2011 #6

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, the 1s and 2s orbitals are orthogonal; i.e. they do not overlap.

It is worth keeping in mind here that 1s, 2s etc are "labels" for wavefunctions (and often depicted in k-space) . You have to be VERY careful when interpreting them geometrically in real space (s is isotropic and p polar, everything else is just very complicated).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook