Electron Distribution in a Simple Circuit

In summary, the current will flow from negative to positive depending on the concentration of electrons. The higher concentration of electrons is found before they "meet" the bulb, which is why there is a higher voltage across the bulb.
JakeyG14
Hi guys,

I'm trying break down a simple circuit composed of a lamp and a power source down to it's basics.

So, I know that the current will flow from negative to positive. However, is it correct to say that there are more electrons before the lamp than there is after the bulb? This difference in concentration of electrons is what causes the voltage across the bulb.

I know that the electrons will be moving at the same rate at all points in the circuit, but is there a higher concentration of electrons before they "meet" the bulb than after the bulb?

I know some of you will laugh at such a simple question, but it's something that's been annoying me.

Physics news on Phys.org
JakeyG14 said:
Hi guys,

I'm trying break down a simple circuit composed of a lamp and a power source down to it's basics.

So, I know that the current will flow from negative to positive. However, is it correct to say that there are more electrons before the lamp than there is after the bulb? This difference in concentration of electrons is what causes the voltage across the bulb.

I know that the electrons will be moving at the same rate at all points in the circuit, but is there a higher concentration of electrons before they "meet" the bulb than after the bulb?

I know some of you will laugh at such a simple question, but it's something that's been annoying me.

Welcome to the PF.

No. the current is contiguous. There is a circuit analysis technique that uses this continuity -- it's called Kirchoff's Current Law (KCL). You can look it up on wikipedia.org to learn more...

<< URL deleted by berkeman >>I hope this qualifies as a valid reference. It has pictures of charge distribution in DC circuits.

PS: berkeman would you please reply to my pm, thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers guys.

I'll definitely take a look at the aforementioned links.

Delta Kilo said:
<< URL deleted by berkeman >>I hope this qualifies as a valid reference. It has pictures of charge distribution in DC circuits.

PS: berkeman would you please reply to my pm, thanks

No, sorry. That self-published paper has problems, so I deleted the reference to it. If you can find a similar paper published in a mainstream peer-reviewed scientific journal, then we will allow it.

I did reply to your PM just now.

"Electric Circuits & Networks" By Suresh Kumar, Kumar K. S. Suresh
http://books.google.com/books?id=ZzeXM-IQnIUC&&pg=PA9

See page 9:
1.2 "A voltage source with a resistance connected at its terminals",
1.2.1 "Steady-state charge distribution in the system"
Figure 1.2-1 "Steady-state with a resistance connected across DC voltage"

berkeman, this is a textbook, if this does not qualify, I don't know what is.
Sorry I could not find anything available online in peer-reviewed journals because these kind of things are so basic and well studied they no longer appear in peer-reviewed journals. They do appear in textbooks and teaching aids though.

I believe Feynman has addressed this subject in his lectures but I do not have access to them at the moment so I cannot quote the exact page/paragraph. I'll look it up later.

The following papers appear to deal directly with subject, unfortunately I do not have access to them either:
Rosser, W. G. V., 1963, What makes an electric current “flow”, American Journal of Physics, 31,884 - 885.
Rosser, W. G. V., 1970, Magnitudes of surface charge distributions associated with electric current flow, American Journal of Physics, 38, 265 - 266.

1. What is electron distribution in a simple circuit?

Electron distribution in a simple circuit refers to the movement of electrons through a closed path or circuit. This movement of electrons is what allows electrical energy to flow and power devices.

2. How do electrons move in a simple circuit?

Electrons move in a simple circuit from the negative terminal of the power source, through the circuit components, and back to the positive terminal of the power source. This flow of electrons is known as current.

3. What factors affect electron distribution in a simple circuit?

The three main factors that affect electron distribution in a simple circuit are the voltage of the power source, the resistance of the circuit components, and the type of material the circuit is made of. These factors determine the strength and speed of the electron flow.

4. What happens to the electron distribution in a simple circuit when a component is added or removed?

When a component is added to a simple circuit, it increases the number of pathways for electrons to flow through, affecting the overall distribution of electrons. When a component is removed, it decreases the number of pathways and can cause a change in the strength or speed of the electron flow.

5. How does the electron distribution in a simple circuit affect the brightness of a light bulb?

The electron distribution in a simple circuit directly affects the brightness of a light bulb. If there is a high flow of electrons, the light bulb will be brighter. If there is a low flow of electrons, the light bulb will be dimmer. This is because the movement of electrons creates heat and light energy, which is what makes the light bulb glow.