Electron entering a magnetic field

In summary, the equation of the circular path is r'=\frac{mv}{eB} and the angle subtended by the arc of the trajectory inside the B-field region is CAB.
Saitama

Homework Statement

attachment.php?attachmentid=58972&stc=1&d=1369329352.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

At any instant in the circular region, let the horizontal and vertical components of velocity of electron be ##v_x## and ##v_y##. Let the origin be at the point from where the electron enters the magnetic field. Positive x-axis is in horizontal direction to left and positive y-axis in vertically upward direction.

The force acting on the electron is
[tex]F=q\vec{v}\times \vec{B}[/tex]
[tex]F=q(v_x\hat{i}+v_y\hat{j}) \times (B\hat{-k})[/tex]
[tex]\Rightarrow F=qv_yB\hat{i}+qv_xB\hat{j}[/tex]

From the above equation, ##dv_x/dt=qv_yB## and ##dv_y/dt=qv_xB##
As ##v_x^2+v_y^2=v^2##, hence ##v_xdv_x=-v_ydv_y##. If I substitute for ##dv_x## and ##dv_y##, I end up proving ##1=1##. :confused:

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

• circular region.jpg
    circular region.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 615
Physics news on Phys.org
Since you are given the speed of the electron, you can find the radius of curvature of its path (and hence the equation of the circular path). Then you can find the length of the path inside the field and calculate the time taken to travel.

Sunil Simha said:
Since you are given the speed of the electron, you can find the radius of curvature of its path (and hence the equation of the circular path).

Do you want me to set up a coordinate system, make equation for the two circles and calculate the arc length? Wouldn't that be too dirty? :yuck:

[tex]r'=\frac{mv}{eB}[/tex]
##r'## is the radius of curvature for the electron's path.

Pranav-Arora said:
Do you want me to set up a coordinate system, make equation for the two circles and calculate the arc length? Wouldn't that be too dirty? :yuck:

Draw a sketch of the trajectory passing through the B-field region. Mark the center of the circular trajectory. See if you can construct some triangles that will allow you to find the angle (with vertex at the center of the trajectory) subtended by the arc of the trajectory inside the B-field region. You won't need to introduce a coordinate system or solve simultaneous equations.

TSny said:
Draw a sketch of the trajectory passing through the B-field region. Mark the center of the circular trajectory. See if you can construct some triangles that will allow you to find the angle (with vertex at the center of the trajectory) subtended by the arc of the trajectory inside the B-field region. You won't need to introduce a coordinate system or solve simultaneous equations.

I still have got no idea. :(
See attachment for the sketch of trajectory.
(The trajectory won't be a circular path outside the magnetic field.)

Attachments

• trajectory.png
    trajectory.png
    10.7 KB · Views: 471
You need angle CAB. Construct triangles AOC and AOB.

Likes 1 person
... and consider what angle ACO is.

Likes 1 person
TSny said:
You need angle CAB. Construct triangles AOC and AOB.

haruspex said:
... and consider what angle ACO is.

That was really obvious. Why I couldn't think of it. :P

Thank you both, I have got the right answer. :smile:

1. What is the force acting on an electron entering a magnetic field?

The force acting on an electron entering a magnetic field is called the Lorentz force. It is perpendicular to both the velocity of the electron and the magnetic field, and its magnitude is given by F=qvB, where q is the charge of the electron, v is its velocity, and B is the strength of the magnetic field.

2. How does the direction of the force on an electron entering a magnetic field depend on its velocity?

The direction of the force on an electron entering a magnetic field depends on the direction of its velocity. If the velocity is perpendicular to the magnetic field, the force will be perpendicular to both and will cause the electron to move in a circular path. If the velocity is parallel to the magnetic field, the force will be zero and the electron will continue in a straight line.

3. What is the effect of increasing the strength of the magnetic field on an electron entering it?

Increasing the strength of the magnetic field will increase the magnitude of the force acting on the electron. This will cause the electron to experience a greater acceleration and therefore move in a tighter circular path. It will also decrease the radius of the circular path, as the force is inversely proportional to the radius of the path.

4. Can an electron entering a magnetic field change its energy?

Yes, an electron entering a magnetic field can change its energy. This is because the magnetic field exerts a force on the electron, causing it to accelerate and therefore gain kinetic energy. The strength of the magnetic field and the initial velocity of the electron will determine the amount of energy gained by the electron.

5. How does the magnetic field affect the trajectory of an electron entering it?

The magnetic field affects the trajectory of an electron entering it by exerting a force on the electron, causing it to move in a curved path. The direction and curvature of the path will depend on the direction and strength of the magnetic field, as well as the initial velocity of the electron. The electron will continue to move in this curved path until it exits the magnetic field or the force acting on it changes.