Electron positron system

In summary, we have a two spin-1/2 particle system described by the Hamiltonian ##\hat{H} = AS^{(-)} \cdot S^{(+)} +\frac{eB}{mc} (S_z^{(-)} +S_z^{(+)} )## with spin ket ##|\psi \rangle = | \uparrow \rangle^{(+)} | \uparrow \rangle^{(-)}##. We want to determine if this is an eigenket for A = 0 and B = 0. Using the eigenvalues for spin operators, we can rewrite the first term in the Hamiltonian as ##S^{(-)} \cdot S^{(+)} = (S^{(+)} + S^{(-
Gregg

Homework Statement

Hamiltonian for an electron positron system in a uniform magnetic field B (in the z direction)

## \hat{H} = AS^{(-)} \cdot S^{(+)} +\frac{eB}{mc} (S_z^{(-)} +S_z^{(+)} )##

##A \in \Re ##

We have a spin ket given by

## |\psi \rangle = | \uparrow \rangle^{(+)} | \uparrow \rangle^{(-)} ##

For A = 0 is ##| \psi \rangle ## an eigenket?

For B = 0 is it an eigenket?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe that the (+) denotes the positron and the (-), an electron. This is a two spin-1/2 particle system.

In lectures we have been given eigenvalues of various spin operators

The second term in the Hamiltonian is

## \frac{eB}{mc}(S^{(+)}_z + S^{(-)}_z ) = \frac{eB}{mc} (S^{(+)+(-)})_z ## which has eigenvalue ## m\hbar = (m_1+m_2)\hbar ##

The first term in the Hamiltonian is something I find confusing

## A S^{(-)} \cdot S^{(+)} ##

My attempt is

## S^{(+)+(-)} = S^{(+)} + S^{(-)} ##

## S^{(-)} \cdot S^{(+)} = ( S^{(+)+(-)}-S^{(+)} )( S^{(+)+(-)}-S^{(-)}) ##

##= S^{(+)+(-)} \cdot S^{(+)+(-)} + S^{(+)} \cdot S^{(-)} - S^{(+)} \cdot S^{(+)+(-)} - S^{(+)+(-)} \cdot S^{(-)} ##

The first term gives ##s(s+1) \hbar^2## as an eigenvalue. I can't work out the rest and I do not know how to apply it to the spin ket

## |\psi \rangle = | \uparrow \rangle^{(-)} | \uparrow \rangle ^{(+)} ##

I don't get the notation impled by this ket. Does it just mean that it is the state with both spin +1/2. meaning that we have s=1/2+1/2=1?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
My problem is for finding expectation values of these operators...

## \langle S_1 \cdot S_2 \rangle = \frac{\hbar^2}{2}(s(s+1) -s_1(s_1+1)-s_2(s_2+1)) ## isn't it?and

##| \uparrow \rangle | \uparrow \rangle = | \uparrow \rangle \bigotimes | \uparrow \rangle ## ?The thing I do not understand is how to convert the

## | \uparrow \rangle^{(+)} | \uparrow \rangle^{(-)} \to | m_1 m_2 ; j_1 j_2 \rangle = | j m ; j_1 j_2 \rangle ##

It is ## |\frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{2};\frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{2} \rangle ##

i don't know what ## j_1## and ##j_2## denote.

##m_1## and ##m_2## denote spin up or spin down i.e. ## m_1 = \pm \frac{1}{2} ## and ##m=m_1+m_2 \in {-1,0,1} ## because we have ## \uparrow \uparrow, \uparrow \downarrow, \downarrow \uparrow, \downarrow \downarrow ## making ## {-1,0,1} ## what indicates that ##j = 1## here?

I have seen that ##j = |l\pm s| = |\pm s| = |s_1 +s_2| ## which certainly indicate some basis ##\{ |11\rangle,|10\rangle ,|1-1\rangle ,|00\rangle \}## is it my job to find the basis in terms of the ## \{ |\uparrow \uparrow\rangle, |\uparrow \downarrow\rangle, |\uparrow \downarrow\rangle, |\downarrow \downarrow\rangle \} ##?

Last edited:
Gregg said:

Homework Statement

Hamiltonian for an electron positron system in a uniform magnetic field B (in the z direction)

## \hat{H} = AS^{(-)} \cdot S^{(+)} +\frac{eB}{mc} (S_z^{(-)} +S_z^{(+)} )##

##A \in \Re ##

We have a spin ket given by

## |\psi \rangle = | \uparrow \rangle^{(+)} | \uparrow \rangle^{(-)} ##

For A = 0 is ##| \psi \rangle ## an eigenket?

For B = 0 is it an eigenket?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I believe that the (+) denotes the positron and the (-), an electron. This is a two spin-1/2 particle system.

In lectures we have been given eigenvalues of various spin operators

The second term in the Hamiltonian is

## \frac{eB}{mc}(S^{(+)}_z + S^{(-)}_z ) = \frac{eB}{mc} (S^{(+)+(-)})_z ## which has eigenvalue ## m\hbar = (m_1+m_2)\hbar ##

The first term in the Hamiltonian is something I find confusing

## A S^{(-)} \cdot S^{(+)} ##

My attempt is

## S^{(+)+(-)} = S^{(+)} + S^{(-)} ##

## S^{(-)} \cdot S^{(+)} = ( S^{(+)+(-)}-S^{(+)} )( S^{(+)+(-)}-S^{(-)}) ##

##= S^{(+)+(-)} \cdot S^{(+)+(-)} + S^{(+)} \cdot S^{(-)} - S^{(+)} \cdot S^{(+)+(-)} - S^{(+)+(-)} \cdot S^{(-)} ##

The first term gives ##s(s+1) \hbar^2## as an eigenvalue. I can't work out the rest and I do not know how to apply it to the spin ket
I'm going to use 1 and 2 instead of + and - because it's easier to read and type.

It would be more straightforward to start with ##\vec{S} = \vec{S}_1 + \vec{S}_2##, square it, and solve for ##\vec{S}_1\cdot\vec{S}_2##.

## |\psi \rangle = | \uparrow \rangle^{(-)} | \uparrow \rangle ^{(+)} ##

I don't get the notation impled by this ket. Does it just mean that it is the state with both spin +1/2. meaning that we have s=1/2+1/2=1?
What you've said is correct, but you might be making a bit of a conceptual error here. It means both particles are in the spin-up state so that ##m_{s_1} = 1/2## and ##m_{s_2} = 1/2##. This means that ##m = m_{s_1}+m_{s_2} = 1##, which, in turn, implies that s=1.

Gregg said:
My problem is for finding expectation values of these operators...

## \langle S_1 \cdot S_2 \rangle = \frac{\hbar^2}{2}(s(s+1) -s_1(s_1+1)-s_2(s_2+1)) ## isn't it?
No, expectation values have nothing to do with this problem. You simply want to check if the given state is an eigenstate of the operator. In other words, is it true that
$$(\vec{S}_1 \cdot \vec{S}_2) |\psi\rangle = \lambda|\psi\rangle$$ for some ##\lambda##?

The thing I do not understand is how to convert the

## | \uparrow \rangle^{(+)} | \uparrow \rangle^{(-)} \to | m_1 m_2 ; j_1 j_2 \rangle = | j m ; j_1 j_2 \rangle ##

It is ## |\frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{2};\frac{1}{2}\frac{1}{2} \rangle ##

i don't know what ## j_1## and ##j_2## denote.
This problem is about the addition of angular momentum, i.e. ##\vec{J} = \vec{J}_1 + \vec{J}_2##. The letter J is a generic letter associated with angular momentum. When you talk about a particle's intrinsic spin, it's customary to use S. In other words, in this problem, j1=s1 and j2=s2.

##m_1## and ##m_2## denote spin up or spin down i.e. ## m_1 = \pm \frac{1}{2} ## and ##m=m_1+m_2 \in \{-1,0,1\} ## because we have ## \uparrow \uparrow, \uparrow \downarrow, \downarrow \uparrow, \downarrow \downarrow ## making ## \{-1,0,1\} ## what indicates that ##j = 1## here?

I have seen that ##j = |l\pm s| = |\pm s| = |s_1 +s_2| ## which certainly indicate some basis ##\{ |11\rangle,|10\rangle ,|1-1\rangle ,|00\rangle \}## is it my job to find the basis in terms of the ## \{ |\uparrow \uparrow\rangle, |\uparrow \downarrow\rangle, |\uparrow \downarrow\rangle, |\downarrow \downarrow\rangle \} ##?
Yes, that's essentially what the problem boils down to. Your textbook should cover the addition of angular momentum. I think you're getting confused because you're seeing bits and pieces. Reviewing the topic now that you have an idea of what's going on might prove helpful at this point.

1. What is an electron-positron system?

An electron-positron system is a pair of particles that consist of an electron and a positron, which are the antiparticles of each other. They have opposite charge and spin, but the same mass.

2. How is an electron-positron system created?

An electron-positron system can be created through pair production, where a high-energy photon interacts with a nucleus or another particle, producing an electron-positron pair. They can also be created in particle accelerators through collisions of high-energy particles.

3. What are the properties of an electron-positron system?

An electron-positron system has the same properties as an individual electron or positron, such as mass, charge, and spin. They also have the ability to annihilate each other, releasing energy in the form of photons.

4. What is the significance of electron-positron systems in physics?

Electron-positron systems play a crucial role in quantum field theory and particle physics. They are used to study fundamental interactions and to test theories, such as the Standard Model. They are also important in astrophysics, as they are involved in processes such as gamma-ray bursts and the production of antimatter in the universe.

5. How are electron-positron systems being used in technology?

Electron-positron systems are used in various technologies, such as PET (positron emission tomography) scans in medical imaging. They are also used in particle accelerators for research and in the development of new materials for electronics and energy production.