Electron traveling between two plates. Electric Fields?

In summary: So if you throw the ball horizontally Eastward, it will fall downward because the z component of the ball's motion is in the negative y-direction. If you throw the ball horizontally toward North, the z component of the ball's motion will be in the positive y-direction, and it will not fall because it is in the same direction as the y-axis. In summary, if you want the ball to fall downward, you need to throw it horizontally in the negative z-direction.
MaryCate22

Homework Statement

An electron traveling horizontally east passes between two horizontal, oppositely charged plates and is deflected downward.

Part A: Passing through the same space between the plates, in what direction (if any) a proton traveling horizontally east would be deflected?

Part B: Passing through the same space between the plates, in what direction (if any) an electron traveling horizontally west would be deflected?

Part C: Passing through the same space between the plates, in what direction (if any) a proton traveling horizontally west would be deflected?

Part D: Passing through the same space between the plates, in what direction (if any) a proton traveling horizontally north would be deflected?

Answer choices for all parts :
a) It wouldn't be deflected.
b) It would be deflected vertically downward.
c) It would be deflected vertically upward.

Homework Equations

Not sure. This question is labeled under "Electric Fields and Forces."

The Attempt at a Solution

My gut tells me that the proton traveling horizontally east would be deflected upward, opposite of the electron. I have no clue how traveling west changes the problem. And as far as part D, what does horizontally north even mean? I'm really lost on this problem. I'm not sure with what concepts to approach it.

Physics news on Phys.org
If the electron gets deflected downward, what should that tell you about the plate on top of it and the plate below it? After figuring this out, apply it to the other particles.

As for horizontally north ... not sure about the terminology either. Maybe it just means directly north on some horizontal plane. It may just imply the direction is perpendicular to the previously mentioned direction? I'd want to hear what someone else thinks about the term though.

You stand on the ground, with a compass in your hand. You find the directions to East, North, South, West. Holding a ball in our hand, you throw it horizontally Eastward. It will fall while moving to East (It deflects downward).
Now throw the ball horizontally toward North. Will it deflect downward again?

ehild said:
You stand on the ground, with a compass in your hand. You find the directions to East, North, South, West. Holding a ball in our hand, you throw it horizontally Eastward. It will fall while moving to East (It deflects downward).
Now throw the ball horizontally toward North. Will it deflect downward again?

Yes?

MaryCate22 said:
Yes?
Of course ...Push a ball on a table in either direction, it will fall downward after leaving the table.

I think what ehild is getting at is that horizontal means 0 z component.

1. How does an electron travel between two plates?

An electron travels between two plates due to the presence of an electric field. The electric field exerts a force on the electron, causing it to move from the negative plate to the positive plate.

2. What is an electric field?

An electric field is a region in space around a charged object where an electric force can be felt by other charged objects. It is represented by electric field lines, which show the direction and strength of the force at different points in the field.

3. How does the distance between the plates affect the electron's travel?

The distance between the plates affects the strength of the electric field. The closer the plates are to each other, the stronger the electric field will be, and the faster the electron will travel between them.

4. What is the relationship between the electric field and the voltage of the plates?

The electric field is directly proportional to the voltage of the plates. This means that as the voltage increases, the electric field strength also increases. This relationship is described by the equation E = V/d, where E is the electric field, V is the voltage, and d is the distance between the plates.

5. Can an electron travel between two plates without an electric field?

No, an electron cannot travel between two plates without an electric field. The electric field is necessary to exert a force on the electron and cause it to move. Without an electric field, the electron would remain stationary between the plates.