Electronic Engineering requierements?.

In summary, the conversation discussed the requirements for an electronics or electrical engineering major and whether or not one can become an engineer if they struggle with math. One person shared their doubts about their abilities and mentioned a friend who seemed to have a natural talent for engineering. The importance of being good at math was emphasized, but it was also suggested to take math classes at a community college to save money. Ultimately, it was concluded that it doesn't matter how one becomes good at math as long as they are able to produce results.
mt1200
Hi people from Physics forums.

This might be an off topic question but, since there are a lot of engineers and physicists here, i'll ask.

What are the requirements for an electronics or electrical engineering major, can I be an engineer if I always sucked at math at school?.

I've always had this doubt, since I don't know if I have what it takes, but I think I dont, I've seen a lot of engineering dropouts, and they all share one common thing: they sucked at math and physics since high school.

I dropped out of my engineering career some time ago because I had no money and my grades were embarrasing, but now I'm working (and therefore I've saved enough money) and I think I can go back to the university, but after several thoughts I don't think I have what it takes to be an electronic engineer, since I suck at math, and I might end up just wasting money and time in a career that requires much more than my current capabilites.

One of my friends its about to finish his engineering major, he has great grades, and he barely goes to classes, he barely asks questions to the teachers, or writes in his notebook, he says to me that he always deduces or figures out all those formulaes or equations instead of memoryzing them and reads in the books to learn what he don't learn in the classes that he often misses. I don't get how can he deduce a transfer function or complex ODE's or almost every derivative rule, but since can simplify and solve equations almost " naturally", my best guess was: he was born to be an engineer.

I tryed to do the same, and decided to learn ODEs by my own, and I still can't get a thing (from Stewart's book), I get the mechanical process (you derive, you replace in the main function, and check if the solution satisfies it) but I don't get I.E. what is dy/du, I can't deduce the equations or apply logic to solve math problems just like my friend does.

Everybody always say "dont ever give up" or " everybody is different" but what's the point if you just can't understand a simple math problem that other people understood easily?, I think that you need some "math-ready" mind to fully understand the concepts and then become a good engineer, I think you can't be an engineer if you don't have that " math-ready" or "logic-ready" instinct inside your mind, since math and engineering problems are NOT always things that you can do by performing always the same steps, you have to figure some solutions by your own.

So what attitudes or IQ or whatever do you think that the people needs in order to study (and get good grades) engineering?.

Engineering news on Phys.org
There's no requirement about who you are, just what results you produce. It doesn't matter if you do well in math because of your intelligence or hard work - what matters is that you do well.

You will need to be decent at math. (at least a B in all calc classes at most universities).

The #1 suggestion I can give is to take your math classes (Calc 1, Calc 2, Diff Eq) at a community college for as cheap as possible. That way, if it doesn't work out you won't have piles of debt. This is assuming the credits transfer, which they usually do.

1. What education is required to become an electronic engineer?

To become an electronic engineer, you typically need a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering or a related field. Some employers may prefer candidates with a master's degree or higher.

2. What skills are necessary for a career in electronic engineering?

Some important skills for electronic engineering include strong problem-solving abilities, proficiency in mathematics and computer programming, attention to detail, and the ability to work in a team.

3. What industries employ electronic engineers?

Electronic engineers can find employment in various industries such as telecommunications, aerospace, automotive, healthcare, and consumer electronics. They may also work in research and development or in government agencies.

4. What tools and equipment do electronic engineers use?

Electronic engineers use a variety of tools and equipment such as oscilloscopes, multimeters, signal generators, circuit simulators, and computer-aided design (CAD) software. They also work with electronic components such as resistors, capacitors, and integrated circuits.

5. What are some common job titles for electronic engineers?

Some common job titles for electronic engineers include electrical engineer, circuit designer, systems engineer, electronics technician, and research and development engineer. They may also hold positions such as project manager or technical sales engineer.