Electronic Keyboard Goes Out Of Tune

  • Thread starter Thread starter Hornbein
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Keyboard Tuning
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Ask a follow-up in this thread, or start your own.
10 replies · 2K views
Hornbein
Gold Member
Messages
4,252
Reaction score
3,378
One of my Yamaha electronic keyboards has gone out of tune. It's 1% flat. It's not a problem -- I just tune it up so I'm not looking for a cure-- the point is I'm surprised that this is possible. I thought digital musical devices couldn't go out of tune.
 
Engineering news on Phys.org
Interesting.
What is the model, and what year was it made.
How do you tune it up, maybe that adjustment device is failing?
 
Yes.. Does it have an adjustment to put it out of standard tune (perhaps to play with elderly "more tender" instruments? It is hard to bend a quartz crystal by 1%.
 
Baluncore said:
Interesting.
What is the model, and what year was it made.
How do you tune it up, maybe that adjustment device is failing?
Yamaha PSR-E473, 2024. It has many adjustable features, including tuning. I have to set A 440 to 444 to get it to conform to the rest of the world. It just started doing that recently.

It might have been the computer that I get my music from but no, my other keyboard is still in tune.
 
Top up the battery? :oldbiggrin:
 
  • Care
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Rive and sophiecentaur
Today after 23 days the keyboard spontaneously returned to A 440.
 
Hornbein said:
Today after 23 days the keyboard spontaneously returned to A 440.
Sunspots. It's always because sunspots.
 
Hornbein said:
Today after 23 days the keyboard spontaneously returned to A 440.
Most (pseudo-scientific) biorhythm models, use three cycles: a 23-day physical cycle, a 28-day emotional cycle, and a 33-day intellectual cycle.
The 23-day time suggests there is something physically wrong with the components, the connections or solder joints. Check it for physical vibration sensitivity, by tapping the electronics gently with a drumstick. Pick your tune.
 
  • Haha
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Hornbein, Tom.G and Steve4Physics
Hornbein said:
Today after 23 days the keyboard spontaneously returned to A 440.
Now we wait to find out if the failure cycle is a square wave.