Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electroplating from tungsten via phosphate salt?

1. Aug 10, 2013 #1
    At the bottom of page 54 of Tungsten: Properties, Chemistry, Technology of the Elements, Alloys, and Chemical Compounds by Lassner and Schubert:

I'm presuming the reaction goes something like 2H[itex]_{3}[/itex]PO[itex]_{4}[/itex] + 2W → 3H[itex]_{2}[/itex] + 2WPO[itex]_{4}[/itex]

Since I'm pretty sure copper phosphate works just fine for electroplating, why wouldn't tungsten phosphate? What's the difference? The absence of any Google info on this makes me think there must be some good reason why it won't work.

But it sure would be useful for a particular project. Would appreciate input!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 10, 2013 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I think the result is more like W(PO4)2, since phosphate is -3 while W can be +6. Since tungsten has several oxidation states running from +6 to -2, there may be different compositions.

4. Aug 10, 2013 #3
    Okay, assuming W loses all 6 electrons like it can, that sounds like a pretty strong bond. I suppose it would be insoluble in pretty much anything. Thank you.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  5. Aug 11, 2013 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sections 3.7 and 3.8 of your reference also discuss some aspects of electroplating with tungsten. Apparently, not much is known about tungsten compounds and this lack of information makes it difficult to determine which compounds are the most suitable.

6. Aug 11, 2013 #5
    Doh, thank you again. From page 123:

(Just posting it here for reference. Hope that's not a copyright violation.)

7. Aug 11, 2013 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Nope. You aren't claiming the work is your own, and it falls under what is known as 'fair use'.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook