1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatic and gravitational forces!

1. Feb 25, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    How far (in cm) apart must be proton from group of 13 protons if the magnitude of the electrostatic force acting on either one due to the others is equal to the magnitude of the gravitational force on a proton at Earth's surface?

So, I know that the mass of a proton is 1.67*10^-27 kg and that the charge on the proton is 1.6*10^-19 C. I am using the formula: 1/(4piEo) times (q1q2 divided by r^2) equals mg. So I thought you could set it up like this: (1.6*10^-19 times (13)(1.6*10^-19) divided by (1.6*10^-27)(9.8). That multiply that quotient by r^2=9*10^9. I don't think I did it right, I'm confused at what to do with the 13. Thanks!!!

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 25, 2010 #2
    I got something like .437 meters and changed that into 43.7 centimeters. Does that seem right?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook