Electrostatic Conformal Mapping Problem

In summary, the transformation z=\frac{1}{2}(w + \frac{1}{w}) maps the unit circle in the w-plane into the line −1≤x≤1 in the z-plane. Part (a) of the problem involves constructing a complex potential in the w-plane for a charged metallic cylinder with potential Vo on its surface. Part (b) requires using the mapping to determine the complex potential in the z-plane and showing that the physical potential takes the value Vo on the line −1≤x≤1, which represents a metallic strip in the x-y plane. The relation between (x,y) and (u,v) has been worked out, and an attempt at part (a)
Airsteve0

Homework Statement

The transformation [itex]z[/itex]=[itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex]([itex]w[/itex] + [itex]\frac{1}{w}[/itex]) maps the unit circle in the w-plane into the line −1≤x≤1 in the z-plane.

(a) Construct a complex potential in the w-plane which corresponds to a charged
metallic cylinder of unit radius having a potential Vo on its surface.

(b) Use the mapping to determine the complex potential in the z-plane. Show that
the physical potential takes the value Vo on the line −1≤x≤1. This line thus
represents a metallic strip in the x-y plane.

Homework Equations

F(w) = [itex]\Phi(u,v)[/itex]+i[itex]\Psi(u,v)[/itex] = [itex]\frac{-\lambda}{2\pi\epsilon_o}[/itex]Ln(w) + Vo

x = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex](u + [itex]\frac{u}{u^2 + v^2}[/itex])

y = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex](v - [itex]\frac{v}{u^2 + v^2}[/itex])

The Attempt at a Solution

So far I have worked out the relation between (x,y) and (u,v) as well as made an attempt at part (a). However, it is part (b) and using the mapping that I am completely lost with. Mainly, if I try to find u and v in terms of solely x and y I get 2 solutions (i.e. plus or minus because of squaring); this leaves me unsure of what to do. Any help would be wonderful!

Physics news on Phys.org
Please do not double post. I have replied to the version in Homework/Advanced Physics.

Last edited:

1. What is the Electrostatic Conformal Mapping Problem?

The Electrostatic Conformal Mapping Problem is a mathematical problem that involves finding a conformal mapping between two regions in the complex plane, where the regions have different electrostatic properties. This problem has applications in various fields such as electromagnetics, fluid mechanics, and heat transfer.

2. How is the Electrostatic Conformal Mapping Problem solved?

The Electrostatic Conformal Mapping Problem is solved using analytical methods, numerical methods, or a combination of both. Analytical methods involve using mathematical equations to find the conformal mapping, while numerical methods use computer algorithms to approximate the solution.

3. What are some real-world applications of the Electrostatic Conformal Mapping Problem?

The Electrostatic Conformal Mapping Problem has applications in designing electronic circuits, analyzing fluid flow around objects, and calculating heat distribution in different materials. It is also used in the design of antennas, medical devices, and various other systems where the distribution of electric fields is important.

4. What are the challenges associated with solving the Electrostatic Conformal Mapping Problem?

One of the main challenges in solving the Electrostatic Conformal Mapping Problem is the complexity of the equations involved. The problem also becomes more challenging when dealing with irregularly shaped regions or when boundary conditions are not known. Another challenge is the accuracy of the solution, as small errors in the mapping can lead to significant errors in the resulting electric field distribution.

5. Are there any software tools available to solve the Electrostatic Conformal Mapping Problem?

Yes, there are several software tools available that can solve the Electrostatic Conformal Mapping Problem. Some popular tools include COMSOL Multiphysics, ANSYS Maxwell, and MATLAB. These tools use numerical methods to approximate the solution and offer various features to make the problem easier to solve, such as visualization and parameter optimization.