Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatic energy on my cat?

1. Oct 31, 2011 #1
    When I play with my cat, there is some electrostatic energy generating between my hands and cat's fur, does anyone have any suggestions whether my body get positive charges after playing with my cat or negative charges?
    Thanks in advance for any suggestions

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2011 #2

Nabeshin

Science Advisor

Likely negatively charged. The sharp hairs of the cat are more likely to donate electrons to your hand.

4. Oct 31, 2011 #3
    A simple volt meter would tell you for sure.

5. Oct 31, 2011 #4
    This voltage from electrostatic energy is fairly difficult to measure on a volt meter. A normal voltmeter won't work: the electrical resistance of a normal voltmeter will discharge your body almost instantly.
    Furthermore, on a volt meter, is there any feature to determine whether the charges are positive or negative? It seems to me that there is only one direction scale for voltage, and cannot tell whether the charges are positive or negative.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to measure the voltage from electrostatic energy? in order to determine whether the charges are positive or negative?
    Thanks everyone very much for any suggestions

voltmeter.jpg

Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook