1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatic Field concept question

1. Jun 1, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A ping pong ball covered with a conducting graphite coating has a mass .005 kg and a charge -4 microC. What electric field will exactly balance the weight of the ball?

2. Relevant equations

qE = mg

3. The attempt at a solution

I know how to get the magnitude of the electric field using the equation above. I just don't understand the conceptual part of this question: Which way is the electric field going (up or down)? Any help would be appreciated...thanks

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2009 #2

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

since weight acts downwards, I'd assume the electric field move the charge upwards.

4. Jun 1, 2009 #3
    It would have to act parallel and in the opposite direction to the force of gravity.

5. Jun 1, 2009 #4
    well another similar problem had the electric field pointing downward with the particle having a negative charge.

6. Jun 1, 2009 #5

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

So which way will the electric field point to move the -4uC charge upwards?

7. Jun 1, 2009 #6
    I would assume upwards but I'm not really sure. This seems like a really simple concept but i can't figure it out.

8. Jun 1, 2009 #7

rock.freak667

Homework Helper

Electric fields move from positive to negative. So if you place a negative charge in that field, it will move towards the positive side.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook