Electrostatic force on a charge

i was reading the book of Griffin - introduction to electrodynamics. it is written that the force of charge q on Q is not only depends on the distance b.w them but also the velocity & acceleration of charge q.then i think coloumb'law is incomplete at all. it must include some quantity for velocity or acceleration. ian't it right??????????
hope for this >>>>>>>>

Answers and Replies

olgranpappy
Homework Helper
i was reading the book of Griffin - introduction to electrodynamics. it is written that the force of charge q on Q is not only depends on the distance b.w them but also the velocity & acceleration of charge q.then i think coloumb'law is incomplete at all. it must include some quantity for velocity or acceleration. ian't it right??????????
hope for this >>>>>>>>
Yes, "coloumb'law" is incomplete. This incompleteness is a topic within the field of electrodynamics (note the phrase *dynamics* as opposed to statics), an introduction to which is presumably given in the book you mentioned.

Meir Achuz
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Yes. If you go further on in the book, you will get to the Lienard-Wiechert potentials which replace Coulomb's law for moving and accelerating charges.

jtbell
Mentor
it is written that the force of charge q on Q is not only depends on the distance b.w them but also the velocity & acceleration of charge q.then i think coloumb'law is incomplete at all. it must include some quantity for velocity or acceleration. ian't it right??????????
The dependence of the force on the velocity of q is usually called "magnetism." :biggrin:

The dependence of the force on the velocity of q is usually called "magnetism." :biggrin:
yes it may right like it is something electromagnetic force b.w the particles, then why didn't coloumb mention it in his Law???????

berkeman
Mentor
yes it may right like it is something electromagnetic force b.w the particles, then why didn't coloumb mention it in his Law???????
Isn't Coulomb's Law confined to electrostatics? That might be why...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coulomb's_law

No v or a in his equation that I can see...

olgranpappy
Homework Helper

The man's name is Coulomb not "coloumb". He studied electricity a long time ago... He didn't get *everything* exactly right but he got pretty close. Cut the man some slack. Geez.

jtbell
Mentor
why didn't coloumb mention it in his Law???????
Because at the time Coulomb did his work, the velocity-dependent force hadn't been discovered yet!