Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatic force on a charge

1. Aug 26, 2009 #1
    i was reading the book of Griffin - introduction to electrodynamics. it is written that the force of charge q on Q is not only depends on the distance b.w them but also the velocity & acceleration of charge q.then i think coloumb'law is incomplete at all. it must include some quantity for velocity or acceleration. ian't it right??????????
    hope for this >>>>>>>>

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 26, 2009 #2

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

Yes, "coloumb'law" is incomplete. This incompleteness is a topic within the field of electrodynamics (note the phrase *dynamics* as opposed to statics), an introduction to which is presumably given in the book you mentioned.

4. Aug 26, 2009 #3

clem

Science Advisor

Yes. If you go further on in the book, you will get to the Lienard-Wiechert potentials which replace Coulomb's law for moving and accelerating charges.

5. Aug 26, 2009 #4

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

The dependence of the force on the velocity of q is usually called "magnetism." :biggrin:

6. Aug 26, 2009 #5
    yes it may right like it is something electromagnetic force b.w the particles, then why didn't coloumb mention it in his Law???????

7. Aug 27, 2009 #6

berkeman

Isn't Coulomb's Law confined to electrostatics? That might be why...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coulomb's_law

No v or a in his equation that I can see...

8. Aug 27, 2009 #7

olgranpappy

Homework Helper

The man's name is Coulomb not "coloumb". He studied electricity a long time ago... He didn't get *everything* exactly right but he got pretty close. Cut the man some slack. Geez.

9. Aug 27, 2009 #8

jtbell

Because at the time Coulomb did his work, the velocity-dependent force hadn't been discovered yet!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook