1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Electrostatic force

1. Feb 22, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A uniformly charged, solid, non-conducting sphere of radius ##a## and charge density ##\rho## has its center located a distance ##d## from a uniformly charged, non-conducting, infinite sheet (charge density ##\sigma##). Determine the potential difference between the center of the sphere and the nearest point on the charged sheet. Determine the net electrostatic force on the charged sphere.

2. Relevant equations
    ##E=-\nabla V##
    ##F=qE##
    3. The attempt at a solution
    I tried something but I want to make sure it is correct. So the electric field created by the plane is ##E_{plane}=\frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon}## and ##V_{plane}=\frac{\sigma r}{2\epsilon}##. Using Gauss law the potential inside and outside the sphere is: ##V_{sphere}^{inside}=\frac{2\rho r^2}{3\epsilon}## and ##V_{sphere}^{outside}=\frac{Q}{4 \pi \epsilon r}##. So at the center of the sphere the potential is the one created by the plane, so ##V_1 = \frac{\sigma d}{2\epsilon} ## and the potential at the surface of the plane is the one created by the sphere ##V_2 = \frac{Q}{4 \pi \epsilon d}##. So the potential difference would be just ##V_1 - V_2##?
    For the second part, the electric field of the plane is constant, so the force is just ##\frac{\sigma}{2\epsilon} Q##? With ##Q = \rho 4 \pi r^3/3## Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 22, 2017 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You haven't been consistent with where you are choosing V to be zero. For the plane, you are choosing V = 0 at the surface of the plane. For inside the sphere, you are choosing V = 0 at the center of the sphere, and for outside of the sphere, you are choosing V = 0 at infinity.

Also, I'm not sure about the factor of 2 in the numerator of the expression for the potential for inside the sphere.

You might consider getting ΔV by integrating the field between points 1 and 2.

I believe your answer for the second part is correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted